The Beer Engine, Cemetery Road/London Road

Andy C

They have announced the opening date as this coming Friday (Good Friday). Premises previously known as Delaneys. New ownership, building repaired, pub refurbished, new beer lines and cellar kit.

Sounds like they will have decent beer, also food - bar snacks on weekdays, pie and peas on matchdays and roast dinners on Sundays.

quote from website:

"Doors open – Midday Friday 3rd April

The Beer Engine will be a laid back pub where you’ll be able to enjoy exceptional craft beers from the best and most innovative breweries, kept and served with the care and attention they deserve.

Our range will include regular and guest ales, as well as continental lagers, cider and a quality selection of wines and spirits.

We have a chef, so the food will be good too. The menu is yet to be finalised but we’ve tried the jerk chicken and that’s definitely on it. We will be providing tapas-style bar snacks that complement the beer, hot meals, pies on match days and Sunday dinner.

The large beer yard at the back is being turned into a beer garden. It’s going to be a great spot for summer drinking.

Our beers

We have 6 hand-pulled cask ale pumps and 4 keg lines. Guests will often be from breweries that have not been seen much in Sheffield.

Our starting lineup includes brews from Bad Seed, Buxton, Marble, Siren, Harviestoun (appropriately ‘Old Engine Oil’) and Darkstar.

Our regulars include Estrella, Oranjeboom (4%), Bitburger, Erdinger Weisse, Young’s London (Road) Stout and Aspell’s cider.

We will have an eclectic selection of bottles.

Who are we

The man behind The Beer Engine is Tom Harrington. He’s from Sheffield and he knows his beer. He’s most recently worked for Thornbridge Brewery’s pub operation and has also worked in such beacons of beer excellence as the Sheaf View and Hillsborough Hotel.

Read more in this month’s Beer Matters (page 16) and the Sheffield Telegraph."

Hope it will be a "real ale pub" rather than a "pub that serves real ale". This is a good distinction, made in (I think) North Notts CAMRA magazine, in a survey of Worksop pubs, between places where the ale is 1st and food 2nd, and vice versa. The Broadfield is an example of vice versa. Good luck if you just wander in there, innocently wanting a pint!

Hope it will be a "real ale pub" rather than a "pub that serves real ale". This is a good distinction, made in (I think) North Notts CAMRA magazine, in a survey of Worksop pubs, between places where the ale is 1st and food 2nd, and vice versa. The Broadfield is an example of vice versa. Good luck if you just wander in there, innocently wanting a pint!

Depends when you 'wander in' to the Broady. One half of the pub is specifically for dining, the other for drinking. For ale, I'd put it close to top 5 in Sheffield.

Just been to look at Beer Engine as I used to frequent Delaneys

It has been filled with brand new large chunky white pine tables which to me don't really create the right atmosphere. Would have been better with older darker wood tables. :loopy:

I miss Delaneys - had some great nights there especially Carmen Ghia and Hotrods

Just been to look at Beer Engine as I used to frequent Delaneys

It has been filled with brand new large chunky white pine tables which to me don't really create the right atmosphere. Would have been better with older darker wood tables. :loopy:

I miss Delaneys - had some great nights there especially Carmen Ghia and Hotrods

last time that I went in Delaneys when a band was on you couldn't get near the bar to get served because of where the band was, everyone watching were stood in front of the bar blocking it! Layout didn't really suit a live music venue.

First couple of visits to Beer Engine I've enjoyed - chilled out pub with lots of good beer and friendly staff, probably needs to settle in to establish the atmosphere fully and I don't mind the pale pine tables but I imaging they'll be a nightmare to keep clean, especially once the food service starts next week.

Edited by Andy C

Went in on Saturday. Good beer range (especially with the keg offerings) but still smells of wet paint. Feels like it's been opened in something of a hurry.

Agree with that. Went in yesterday and you could still smell the wet paint and some of the fixtures look a bit hurried. Tried some of the tapas which was very nice. Enthusiastic landlord who genuinely seems to care about the beers that are on, i hope its a success. Prices seem a little on the heavy side but i'm used to shakey prices.