The Beer Engine, Cemetery Road/London Road

Andy C

It was called The Beer Engine many years ago, before Delaneys and whatever else. I remember it was a rare real ale pub in an area that really needed one, with some decent beers on. I believe that the former manager drank himself to death on Newcastle Brown...

Went in on Thursday after work and the pub seemed fairly busy, quite a few out in the beer garden making the most of the rare spring sunshine!

Food now started, it is simple tapas style bar snacks except at the weekend, roasts are available on Sundays (starting today!) and pie & peas are to be served on Saturdays that United are playing at home.

Cask beer range is 6 handpulls - Bass (famous traditional bitter) and Exit 33 Thirst Aid (pale, hoppy, refreshing and session strength) are the two regular beers at the moment with 4 constantly changing fairly interesting guest beers. There is also a real cider on handpump and a sparkling cider option on keg. The keg range sees London Stout on permanantly along with a selection of changing craft keg beers.

Opening time is 4pm Monday-Thursday and from midday Friday-Sunday.

The beers I tried the other day were excellent. The Bass was as good as any I've ever had.

Not sure about the massive tables, they seem a bit of a waste of space. With just one or two people sat at each one it seems like there's nowhere to sit. Better with small tables and loads of chairs/benches I would have thought.

The beers I tried the other day were excellent. The Bass was as good as any I've ever had.

Not sure about the massive tables, they seem a bit of a waste of space. With just one or two people sat at each one it seems like there's nowhere to sit. Better with small tables and loads of chairs/benches I would have thought.

Totally agree with this - went in early doors last week; good beers (Exit 33 and Raw) and a warm welcome. But why those massive tables and really uncomfortable seating?

Went here for the first time on Saturday - won't be the last time.

Beer range was good and condition superb. The staff are friendsy - in particular the owner (Tom? Tony? Something like that anyway) - really nice guy and very passionate about his beer and his offer.

Didn't have the heart to tell him that staining the pine tables dark and distessing em a bit might fit that character of the bar better. But hey it was a lovely day so spent most of the time outside anyway.

I'd encourange anyone who likes their beer to pay a visit.

Beer range was good and condition superb. The staff are friendsy - in particular the owner (Tom? Tony? Something like that anyway) - really nice guy and very passionate about his beer and his offer.

Its Tom, or Baz as he is also known. Just left his position as Thornbridge's operations manager to start running his own bar.

• 3 weeks later...

Very impressed with this place now (big silly tables apart). It is certainly much more attractive for me than Dulo and Delaneys ever were. I wonder if they can do a deal to get a free beer on a MyWaitrose card*?

Edited by PeteM01
*this might not be an entirely serious point.