The Beer Engine, Cemetery Road/London Road

Andy C

went in last night, a couple of Hop Stuff beers on cask, Bad Seed summatorother, Magic Rock Rapture to come on, Raw Zenith... kegwise it was Beavertown 8 Ball and Bad Seed Blackberry Sour. There's a Brick brewery Double IPA (their description, at 7.5% I'd say it's more an IPA) to come on this weekend

didn't notice tables, grotesque or otherwise, as I loitered at the bar

Second visit, really like the place, shame it's out on a limb... what we need is summat decent to open between there an the Rutland to link it to the usual trails!

Tables are still the same, and not a problem imo.

When I`ve been the range has been ok. Location-wise, I`d not say it`s on a limb rather it`s good to have somewhere with decent ale near the London Road eateries but also close enough to town to wander in after.

Tables are still the same, and not a problem imo.

When I`ve been the range has been ok. Location-wise, I`d not say it`s on a limb rather it`s good to have somewhere with decent ale near the London Road eateries but also close enough to town to wander in after.

The table discussion always amuses me. It's not that there is anything wrong with them. They are just oversized, clunky and don't seem to fit in with the rest of the pub. But that is clearly the look Tom wants so that is fine. I mean I have never been a fan of the way Brewdog in Sheffield looks, compared to Leeds, Manchester, Newcastle etc... but it never stopped me drinking there.

As for being out on a limb - well a little compared to town maybe. But I had a very enjoyable Saturday a few weeks back getting a bus out to the Beer House on Eccy Rd and working my way back into town via the Lescar, Porter Brook, Stag and Beer Engine.

My boss, who lives in the area, recommends another walk in the opposite direction from the Beer Engine to Stag, Union, Byron at Nether Edge and Broadfield / Hop Hideout / Picture House Social to finish. Though I am yet to try that.

Well we're starting at the Beer House then going to the Beer Engine. Possibilty of a stop in the Bath as it's on the way to the bus stop then a further possibility of a last pint in Walkley Beer Co.

---------- Post added 13-06-2015 at 08:30 ----------

Enjoyed the Beer Engine. Beer was great and I didn't mind the big tables and wooden seats, although my OH.

The tapas was great, £15 was enough for tea for two people.

Only complaint, lack of a beer board with prices on. Had to ask before I ventured down the keg route.

• 3 weeks later...
Has anyone been in on a Saturday evening? Does it suffer (like so many central-ish pubs) from shouty spatially-unaware numpties?

It doesn't, however it is one of those pubs with no soft furnishings that results in an accoustic environment that causes voices to multiply in volume, so people in 'enthusiastic conversation' appear louder that they might otherwise.

Of course during the current summer weather there is the option of the beer garden which reduces any issue you may have with loud voices.

It is a great pub with good beer and good staff though, I would suggest you try it for yourself at least once and see what you think.