Do you suffer from "A recent study showed" overload?

The latest study from Australian scientists says that Paracetamol is no good for lower back pain.....Etc....

I don't know about anyone else, but I get tired of all these 'studies' and consequently switch off from them. Yes the study may be perfectly accurate for all I know....

I'm sure there's hundreds of examples of all sorts of things from fruit juices, to sugar, to watching too much TV to infant injections....You name it.

I just get overloaded with it all....Is it a classic case of the boy crying wolf?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-32132377

The latest study from Australian scientists says that Paracetamol is no good for lower back pain.....Etc....

I don't know about anyone else, but I get tired of all these 'studies' and consequently switch off from them. Yes the study may be perfectly accurate for all I know....

I'm sure there's hundreds of examples of all sorts of things from fruit juices, to sugar, to watching too much TV to infant injections....You name it.

I just get overloaded with it all....Is it a classic case of the boy crying wolf?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-32132377

Lets take the example that you put forward. Isn't the research a good thing, it challenges assumptions and could possibly lead to better treatment for people who suffer from low back pain and osteoarthritis?

Although I'd be wary about changing current practices based upon on piece of research, it certainly should stimulate further investigations which could improve the quality of some people's lives.

Lets take the example that you put forward. Isn't the research a good thing, it challenges assumptions and could possibly lead to better treatment for people who suffer from low back pain and osteoarthritis?

Although I'd be wary about changing current practices based upon on piece of research, it certainly should stimulate further investigations which could improve the quality of some people's lives.

As recommended by the ibruprofen marketing council.

Love the signature btw.

I wouldn't disagree....But I still switch off from them.

Here, I googled the term "A recent study showed".....And got a whole host of weird stuff.

I know what you mean. I sacrificed the beloved Lurpak for sunflower spread, many moons ago, only to discover recently that it doesn't make a jot of difference.......... I was robbed!!

Anyone with back problems could tell you that para's don't cut it.

Common sense usually prevails and everything in moderation.

I wouldn't disagree....But I still switch off from them.

That's fine, you're allowed to switch off from them, unless you're involved in the treatment of low back pain and osteoarthritis.

Here, I googled the term "A recent study showed".....And got a whole host of weird stuff.

Surely you're not suggesting that research should stop? If not what are you suggesting?

That's fine, you're allowed to switch off from them, unless you're involved in the treatment of low back pain and osteoarthritis.

I don't suffer back pain, but other pain yes.....and I can't exercise it away!

Surely you're not suggesting that research should stop? If not what are you suggesting?

I'm not really suggesting anything...All I know is I get sick of hearing one tinpot theory after another....Yes all very scientifically carried out....

But like the person above said. They gave up Lurpak only to find out, it didn't make a jot of difference....

I've had salt on my dinner for as long as I can remember and I'm still here!

This is a consequence of demanding 'Impact', some scientists need to demonstrate value by hitting the news for some reason.

The bigger problem though is not that scientists bring the stories into the world, it is the journalists that don't understand papers and go and interpret them in their own way (And very frequently don't even cite the paper they are butchering).

Shouldn't this thread be a poll?

"65% of people polled said they are suffering from study overload"

hahaha...absolutely :)

---------- Post added 01-04-2015 at 11:18 ----------

This is a consequence of demanding 'Impact', some scientists need to demonstrate value by hitting the news for some reason.

The bigger problem though is not that scientists bring the stories into the world, it is the journalists that don't understand papers and go and interpret them in their own way (And very frequently don't even cite the paper they are butchering).

Yep....you're probably almost possibly 90% right there.....:hihi: