Do you suffer from "A recent study showed" overload?

I don't suffer back pain, but other pain yes.....and I can't exercise it away!

I'm not really suggesting anything...All I know is I get sick of hearing one tinpot theory after another....Yes all very scientifically carried out....

But like the person above said. They gave up Lurpak only to find out, it didn't make a jot of difference....

I've had salt on my dinner for as long as I can remember and I'm still here!

So you critiqued the research and decided it's of little value?

Im not suggesting research should stop.

But I am suggesting cheap headline writing and slack standards in journalism should stop

It should be better than the TV classic "a hundred viewers were asked".

Mind you I've had many a rant about "Where do they get these 100 viewers from!!!"

So you critiqued the research and decided it's of little value?

No...Not really.....it just went ...Whoooosh...Over my head, as most of the sensationalist headlines do. (and no...not because I don't understand them)

No...Not really.....it just went ...Whoooosh...Over my head, as most of the sensationalist headlines do. (and no...not because I don't understand them)

So you can't really judge whether they're tinpot theories or not?

You can't blame the sensationalist headlines on the research can you, that's the journalists fault. Maybe your complaints should be aimed in their direction?

Im not suggesting research should stop.

But I am suggesting cheap headline writing and slack standards in journalism should stop

It should be better than the TV classic "a hundred viewers were asked".

Mind you I've had many a rant about "Where do they get these 100 viewers from!!!"

It's a little bit like the haircare or toothpaste or any number of other adverts which say 95% of people 'prefer'....Then if you read the small type at the bottom of the screen it says something like sample size = 49 people...hahaha

---------- Post added 01-04-2015 at 11:33 ----------

So you can't really judge whether they're tinpot theories or not?

No....Not that at all....I judge it based on my own experiences and how it might affect me personally....The particular one I quoted in the OP won't make a jot of difference to my life....All it will end up doing, is probably to make it even harder to buy paracetamol over the counter, without being grilled by the pharmacist...It's bad enough that you can only buy 16 at a time now!

You can't blame the sensationalist headlines on the research can you, that's the journalists fault. Maybe your complaints should be aimed in their direction?

Should I never bother posting on here then?....it would be a pretty empty forum if nobody ever posted on here, and directed their grievance to whatever organisation wrote the story....

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is a general forum.....

No....Not that at all....I judge it based on my own experiences and how it might affect me personally....The particular one I quoted in the OP won't make a jot of difference to my life....All it will end up doing, is probably to make it even harder to buy paracetamol over the counter, without being grilled by the pharmacist...It's bad enough that you can only buy 16 at a time now!

That's a rather odd conclusion, are you a researcher? :hihi:

Should I never bother posting on here then?....it would be a pretty empty forum if nobody ever posted on here, and directed their grievance to whatever organisation wrote the story....

Correct me if I'm wrong, but this is a general forum.....

Slow down a bit, where did I say you shouldn't bother posting on here, so why the attitude? All I said was that maybe your angst should be directed at the journalists for how they report the research rather than the researchers.:huh:

That's a rather odd conclusion, are you a researcher? :hihi:

No, I'm not a researcher...far from it...Just one of the many that get affected by these things.

Slow down a bit, where did I say you shouldn't bother posting on here, so why the attitude? All I said was that maybe your angst should be directed at the journalists for how they report the research rather than the researchers.:huh:

Nooooo....I'm not writing 'with an attitude'...Sorry if it came across that way...We all know that sometimes we write things and they can 'appear' to someone else as being aggressive or off hand, when we didn't actually have that intention....I'm as guilty of that as the next bloke.

In answer to your question, I would see it as a bit pointless complaining to the BBC in this instance....You see comments on stories they write all the time, and does it make any difference? I don't personally think so....

No, I'm not a researcher...far from it...Just one of the many that get affected by these things.

Nooooo....I'm not writing 'with an attitude'...Sorry if it came across that way...We all know that sometimes we write things and they can 'appear' to someone else as being aggressive or off hand, when we didn't actually have that intention....I'm as guilty of that as the next bloke.

In answer to your question, I would see it as a bit pointless complaining to the BBC in this instance....You see comments on stories they write all the time, and does it make any difference? I don't personally think so....

No, you miss my point.

What I was suggesting was that this thread should be about how journalists like to sensationalise research, or that journalists should be better qualified to report on research so they could do a better job of it.

No, you miss my point.

What I was suggesting was that this thread should be about how journalists like to sensationalise research, or that journalists should be better qualified to report on research so they could do a better job of it.

Well that being the case...yes I'd wholeheartedly agree.

But I don't suppose for a minute it will happen...No matter how much complaining...They have to fill the news with something I guess....

Well that being the case...yes I'd wholeheartedly agree.

But I don't suppose for a minute it will happen...No matter how much complaining...They have to fill the news with something I guess....

Maybe you could read more scientific journals, such as the New Scientists, where the reporting is better quality and less sensationalist?