Would touching electric wires from the mains, kill you?

I'm amazed how how much of a kick a simple camera flash system can give off.

Not a brilliant way to see if an HT lead on a Citroen C3 is getting any power either. Not saying any more, in case I make myself appear stupid ... in fact, it may not even have been me, before anyone casts aspersions. Doesn't half make you jump though ...

How I understood it, was...

You touch the wire and the shock begins...

At some point after that, your brain decides this is not good, and it sends an electrical impulse to your muscles, telling them to let go of the wire. I imagine that would be a natural instinctual reaction.

That reaction (brain sending signal to muscles) will happen (perhaps*), but the problem is, before your brain can do that, your muscles are already being controlled (clenching or spasming) by the electricity coming through the wire, which will completely over power any electrical impulse from brain to muscle.

*unless the mains electricity also affects your brains ability to think or react to the shock.

What happened with me was..... I was repairing our washer/dryer..the dryer blower wasn't working. (suspected the brushes)..took the top off the washer..leant over it with one hand holding the side of the washer..forgot it was plugged in/turned on to dry..got hold of the connector on the brush to remove it..felt a strange vibration through both arms/hands...wondered what it was...realised what it was and thought "I'd better let go" ..which I did..don't know how long I was "connected" but it couldn't have been for very long...no after effects..suppose I was lucky..

If you touch a live conductor you Will get a muscle reaction and grip onto it.Even while being shocked it takes a postive decision before you can release your grip.(as I know)

And ,yes it hurts a lot,not to be recommended at all.

I'm amazed how how much of a kick a simple camera flash system can give off.

In my younger days I worked on computer terminals..the old CRT type..to replace the logic board on some of them you had to remove the HT lead from the display..you soon learned to discharge them with a screwdriver before you removed them by hand.. :D

2010 survey

2.5 million shocked

350 000 needed hospital treatment

2010 Data

Deaths at work 6

Deaths at home/leisure 22

Deaths in fires caused by electricity 46

Is that just for people in the UK Annie? Looks like 28 deaths caused by direct contact with electricity? Out of 2.5 million shocked?

Doesn't seem all that deadly...

Touching earth might be the safest thing to do, as it will trigger the RCD almost immediately.

Earthing through something else, ie the floor, will mean that the RCD is less likely to trigger.

And then as has already been mentioned, questions about your response are key. Sometimes muscles lock, meaning you stay connected to the current, other times they spasm, breaking the circuit quickly. If you clench and stay connected for any length of time then there is a good chance that it will kill you.

An RCD doesnt care where the leakage goes. It just looks for a 30mA difference in the live and neutral conductor - I'm not convinced that touching earth will make it trip faster.

AC is less lethal than DC as with AC you can usually let go - firstly due to skin effect and secondly the polarising current reverses at 50Hz - with DC you grip tight and it is impossible to let go.

Which begs the question why the US uses AC and not DC for excecutions. Never understood that.

An RCD doesnt care where the leakage goes. It just looks for a 30mA difference in the live and neutral conductor - I'm not convinced that touching earth will make it trip faster.

AC is less lethal than DC as with AC you can usually let go - firstly due to skin effect and secondly the polarising current reverses at 50Hz - with DC you grip tight and it is impossible to let go.

Which begs the question why the US uses AC and not DC for excecutions. Never understood that.

It's not as if the condemned can actually let go is it? Wasn't it all down to some sort of PR by Edison trying to prove that AC was more dangerous than his own DC system?

I don't understand why they don't just use a guillotine? Isn't instant decapitation a more reliable and humane form of execution?

Please look at, I'm dying? Did she say that, believing she was dying, and her dying wish was to see and be seen by another human being?

Just makes you think, how extra vigilant and aware you need to be around electricity...

---------- Post added 01-04-2015 at 12:30 ----------

How can you tell if it has? Also, what is an RCD?

The poor lass couldn't move her body to alert her colleague. Pretty scary really.