HGVs will soon be going faster !

Can't alot of the restrictors be disabled by shoving a magnet in the correct position??

On the old analogue systems yes or a remote garage door opener did same trick. .not sure if it will work on digital taco equipped trucks and if you pull fuse out I'm told it puts vehicle in to limp mode but never tried that

I drive hgv,s for a living and a lot of wagons are now restricted by the owners to 52 and they have no plans to remove this restriction once this incresed speed limit comes in so it won't make much difference any way .

If they are derestricted once the increased speed limit comes in to effect, they could increase mileage per drivers hours (tacho)? Effectively upping their speed to gain more miles per session rather than any form of road sense or fuel consumption gain?

As tinfoil has mentioned 44 tons is a hell of a weight to stop.

---------- Post added 02-04-2015 at 09:28 ----------

The idea is to get all vehicle travelling at the same speed.

That would be a case for increasing it to 70mph.

Edited by skinz

If they are derestricted once the increased speed limit comes in to effect, they could increase mileage per drivers hours (tacho)? Effectively upping their speed to gain more miles per session rather than any form of road sense or fuel consumption gain?

As tinfoil has mentioned 44 tons is a hell of a weight to stop.

---------- Post added 02-04-2015 at 09:28 ----------

That would be a case for increasing it to 70mph.

Your idea of more mileage per hour would only work if we are on the road early hours of morning /late at night as once we hit traffic etc it all goes to pot anyway

No, what you said is stupid. It takes quite some time relatively speaking for 44 tonnes of hgv to stop, and as a sizeable number on the roads aren't up to snuff anyway it makes little sense for them to be able to go quicker.

Quite, you have to wonder if Penistone is really that dumb or just posts to provoke.

They have more wheels and larger tyres, does it take them longer to stop, how much longer?

If a car hits a line of stationary traffic at 40 mph the 3rd car will probably cushion it to a stop. 44 tons at 40mph? I'd hazard a guess beyond the 3rd car...real nasty.

---------- Post added 02-04-2015 at 18:40 ----------

If you want all traffic to travel at the same speed on motorways, you have to increase it to something around 77mph to 84mph!

Or in some cases decrease to 25mph :hihi:

---------- Post added 02-04-2015 at 18:54 ----------

Your idea of more mileage per hour would only work if we are on the road early hours of morning /late at night as once we hit traffic etc it all goes to pot anyway

So pretty useless increasing it then?

Edited by skinz

I drive hgv for a living and am pleased about these new speed limits. A & B roads single carriageway where I have to travel at 40 mph is ridiculous :roll: If it is national speed limit I invariably end up with cars behind me and often there is no suitable place to pull in to let them pass (not that I have to I must add).

I have a lot of brakes on my truck and trailer and can stop quicker than a truck from the 1960's. I must add that not all trucks are at 44 tons :roll: it is a common misconception and widely misquoted that a '44 ton truck' has done this or that. That is the maximum weight for UK roads, not the general running weight.