Pitsmoor in the 60s

Hi my nan and grandad lived on andover drive my dad is alan croker and I know that my dad and mum lived with my nan when I was born in 1976 and dad had lived on there for about 15 years then I think. I also have an auntie called susan she is 5 years older than my dad so Im guessing from your posts she is probably more your age. Just wondered if you remembered them at all.

Not sure who this is directed at but I know Alan Croker and the whole family.

He lived on the top landing, next to the end and remember winding him up as a kid singing Crocer Jack Crocker Jack get on your back.....

spoke to him a couple of years ago on the net, still see his Mother she lives around Shirecliffe somewhere and I see his (sister i think) walking up Herries Rd from Hillsbrough, believe she walks the whole hog to right down to Firvale.

Originally Posted by Mr.Freedom

"There are some old photos in the Sheffield Libraries archive some of which are on their website but I will see if I can copy a couple and get them to you which should bring back some memories. "

A magazine called either "Creative Camera" or "Camera & Creative Photography" published a portfolio of photographs of Earsham Street, Sutherland Road, Carliisle Street and Park Hill flats.

From memory (judging by where I was when I bought it) I would estimate the publication date to have been around the spring of 1984, but I may be a couple of years out either way.

I no longer have a copy, but if anyone else on this forum has, they may be able to scan the photographs or at least advise of further details.

(Not sure who this is directed at but I know Alan Croker and the whole family.

He lived on the top landing, next to the end and remember winding him up as a kid singing Crocer Jack Crocker Jack get on your back.....

spoke to him a couple of years ago on the net, still see his Mother she lives around Shirecliffe somewhere and I see his (sister i think) walking up Herries Rd from Hillsbrough, believe she walks the whole hog to right down to Firvale.)

yes they did live on the top landing but my nan and grandad moved off andover drive about four years ago to near mansfield and my auntie moved away to oxford about 18 years ago and she moved to mansfield about 7 years ago so must be someone else you see walking around.

No, its definatley her, I should know, I have known her over 40 years.

You say she left Pitsmoor four years ago, maybe she was in the area visiting a relation but I have often seen her near the Tesco.

Mind you it could be longer than I think, maybe over 4 years ago.

Where is Alan residing now and I know the Daughter is still around these parts.

I used to go to All Saints School ( top of Lyons Street) in the 60's the kids who were there at that tlme were the Braeley brothers-Lyons Street, the Walmsley brothers-Edgar Street,Robert & Laddie Kaczmarcek,Mick Barker,Robert Allen, Ronnie Longhurst-Thorndon Road,Ian Broadbent-Earsham Street plus many more.

Mr Freedom,

I too knew all these people, and after this post should be allowed to send you a Private Message.

Hi Mister Freedom,Can you remember the Gaumount Cinema, i think it was in barkers pool near the city hall. When we were kids we used to go to the Saturday morning kids club. Our gang used to make for the first row so that we could climb over the front barrier and lark around.Were you in our gang.

Can you remember the Sackville brothers. I cant?

We played on the hollow on Lyons St where the nicholsons of Petre St parked a truck full of timber for us to play on and it is where we had bonfires and played football.

Hello Steve,

What you didn't mention is the number of times our games came to an abrupt end, after the ball burst on broken glass ... or the nails left from the wood after the bonfires!

I remember how after watching matches during the 1962 World cup in Chile, as impressionable 10 year olds, we went out in the street and tried to emulate the "Banana shots" as demonstrated by Garrincha, Vava and the other members of the Brazilian team, who had the skill to bend the ball with the outside of their feet.

We couldn't understand how when we tried it, the course of the ball never deviated, and then went straight on through somebody's front window!

"Sorry Missus."

The glaziers of Sheffield never had it so good as that summer!

I used to go to All Saints School ( top of Lyons Street) in the 60's the kids who were there at that tlme were the Braeley brothers-Lyons Street, the Walmsley brothers-Edgar Street,Robert & Laddie Kaczmarcek,Mick Barker,Robert Allen, Ronnie Longhurst-Thorndon Road,Ian Broadbent-Earsham Street plus many more.

I believe Robbie Allen married a girl named Susan?, then lived on Thorndon Road for a while and I think moved to the Scraithwood / Herries Road area? after the above area was cleared.

They had a daughter who will be in her early thirties now.

If you're out there love; tell your Dad the lads who carried him home on his stag night, would like to make contact with him again!

There was also another lad a bit older called Roy Worrall (had an elder brother Jack and sister Joyce), who I'd love to hear from.

He married a girl from, and then moved into the eastern suburbs of Rotherham. I know they had a son, who was probably born about 1978 time.