Pitsmoor in the 60s

I lived at the other side of pitsmoor,,the street below Petre Street,Edgar -street it was called can any body remember it .I attended Burngreave boys in the 60s and remember Ted Robinson,Stephen Clarke John & trevor Stephenson ,Joseph Mish, Mick Timbrell,David Kettle and many more.Can any body remember the Brealey family who lived on Lyons street also Geoff Cryer,Mick Barker,Steve Walmsley Bob Allen. Let me know will Ya.Thanks
Ilived on Earldom st in the 40ts , so remember all the roads round there, went to All Saints school, the Walmsly name rings a bell did he have relations in Sutherland rd. Cheers Arthur.

Gday sawguitar, I worked at Gillotts Bakery in 1958 just after leaving school, do you remember an explosion at Gillotts that killed a bloke called Bob who lived on Lyon St in the 60's & the explosion on Canada St in the late 60's?

After marriage we lived on Petre St, 3 doors up from Jack's butchers shop which was on the corner of Petre St & Carwood Rd, it belonged to Billy Limb before that, I spent many a happy night in the Hallcar.

As someone else mentioned earlier, I remember the Collesium picture house, I think it became a supermarket & there was a dentist next door who's name was I. Pullem [ Ivor] I also spent a lot of time in Smithies motorcycle shop on Spital Hill.

We moved to Oz in 1970 & returned to visit family in 92, my sister lived near the Hallcar at that time & the whole area had been rebuilt, my wife lived at Grimesthorpe but went to Ellesmere youth club in the 50's/60's.

Iwent to school with Colin G illot but you would not know him Skippy,I believe he topped himself about 1945 time

Steve ,remember the time we all had pellet guns and would go down to Attercliff and shoot at small fish under the bribge.

I did a lot of canal walks, Camera in hand.

So I was thrilled when I first saw The Full Monty, bUT it brought back bad memories when all the steel works collapsed and layed off thousands of people every week.

Bend it like Beckham, Two guns and smokin Barrells { or something like that).

Train spotting etc.

If there are any local or good English movies please let me know.

Gday sawguitar, I worked at Gillotts Bakery in 1958 just after leaving school, do you remember an explosion at Gillotts that killed a bloke called Bob who lived on Lyon St in the 60's & the explosion on Canada St in the late 60's?

After marriage we lived on Petre St, 3 doors up from Jack's butchers shop which was on the corner of Petre St & Carwood Rd, it belonged to Billy Limb before that, I spent many a happy night in the Hallcar.

As someone else mentioned earlier, I remember the Collesium picture house, I think it became a supermarket & there was a dentist next door who's name was I. Pullem [ Ivor] I also spent a lot of time in Smithies motorcycle shop on Spital Hill.

We moved to Oz in 1970 & returned to visit family in 92, my sister lived near the Hallcar at that time & the whole area had been rebuilt, my wife lived at Grimesthorpe but went to Ellesmere youth club in the 50's/60's.

Hi,

Only just seen this post. I lived opposite the Hallcar in the new houses. Maybe I knew your sister? Also, did Billy Limb move to Earsham Street to take over a grocer's shop?

I used to live on Montfort Rd. in the 40s 50s then pulled down in the 60s. Listening to you talk about Pye Bank school was interesting. Do you remember Goodmans bread shop further up from the shop called Inasons i think, this was top of Rock Lane.Also there was a fresh fish shop near the Post Office called Handleys. I was in the Boys Brigade at Andover st Church. Used to go for a pint underage at the Rock in after our club nights on Friday. Could talk for ages about old Pitsmoor if anybody interested.
Hi Do you remember Frank Astlings ,builders on somerset top of the quarry I served my time as a joiner there , Arthur.

• 2 months later...

I am a bit late picking up this thread, but noticed there was a mention of the Braerly (spelling?) family on Lyons Street. I new David Braerly but last year I made contact with his brother Allan who now lives in USA. I just remembered Allen as he was a baby when we used to play in their big back yard. There was another brother in between David and Allan but can't recall his name. There was also a Malcom Sacks who lived on Edgar St. Remember he climbed the drain pipe up to the roof which then gave way, he ended up with a broken ankle. We used to play kick-can at night and hiding in the back yard entrance tunnel by laying full length along the edge. Many a time we scared the living daylights out of people walking down the passage as we lay on the floor. I lived at the Petre St post office just up from Pepperdines on the corner of Lyons Street and Edgar Street. Another family was the Hardisty's that had the newsagents shop between Edgar Street and Petre Street.