Pitsmoor in the 60s

Hi Graystreet

Dont know any of the names you mentioned but I use to do similar things to you at the Loco Club my uncle was the steward there when I was younger. Im 60 now, how old are you. Does Hancocks Hill run down to Rock St from Pye Bank School, if so we used to call that School Board Hill. I remember looting the old houses on Verdon St, Neville St, Brunswick Rd etc etc. every house seemed to have a gas mask a steel helmet and a swordstick.

I also remember the bombsite on Rock St there were 3 in fact one at the bottom where the old Vicarage was blown up one in the middle near the bus stop Opp the shops and one at the top Opp the "top" Rock pub a lot of people were killed there. Apart from that sad fact, happy memories.

Hi Siren Not quite as old as you, I used to slide down Hancocks hill (School board hill) from Fox Street to Rock street holding on to railing. Used to play on the bomb just after Fox Hill with Longleys . Used to buy chips from White House (Bernard & Kath?) Do you remember the penny tray in Hancocks shop!!

Yes i remember the teachers you mentioned above .Do you also remember the evil Miss Sailes. I think everybody disliked the woman.

You mentioned Michael Wilkes ,would this be the same guy who lived a few houses away from the post office on Petre Street. He was a mate of mine in the early 60s , I think he moved to Attercliff at some stage. I attended All Saints infant and junior school and after failing the 11 plus went on to the magnificient Burngreave Boys High school. By the way my brother and i lived on Edgar Street (does that ring a bell).Our mother used to work at the corner shop on Harleston Street.

Do you remember the Whiffins of Edgar St.? My parents were great friends of theirs. I also went to All Saints, and I had Miss Sailes, as did my mum quite a lot of years before. They abolished the 11 plus when I was 10 so I went on to Earl Marshal :hihi:

• 2 weeks later...

Does anyone remember the walshes, they lived on grey st. Was good friends with janet. There was also a sister called hazel who was i think deaf & dumb cant remember rest of family.

I had an aunt & uncle who lived on fox st, kath & fred warriner also my cousin paul who would be in his mid 50s now.Dont know what year they left but was a long time ago.

Hi Gray St

I Was An Original On Grey St, Lived The Opposite Side To You No 3 Had A Twin Brother Mick, A Sister Sadly Passed Away Now And A Younger Brother Did All The Things You Did (do They Call You Legs)

Hi Swervin,(or is it Melvin)

No I am not legs,but from my original families (I missed off the Marsdens)the Longleys moved into the Pursehouses house, I know all the longleys very well ,all good friends.

If you are who I am thinking of, did you live on Pye Bank Road flats.

Were you friends at Pye Bank School with Robert Hargate(Algea)?

No I am not legs,but from my original families (I missed off the Marsdens)the Longleys moved into the Pursehouses house, I know all the longleys very well ,all good friends.

I am indeed Melvin ,I still can't for the life of me think who you could possibly be. Can i have some more clues. I wonder what ever happened to algy last i saw of him was is dads funeral years ago the late 70s i think. He lived on Greenland Rd estate Darnall then I live at Firth Park married with a grown up son (still at home neally 26)

Hi Swervin,

I was good friends with your brother Mick and David Whitney when I was about 13/16yr old used to go to Top Rank on Saturday afternoons and Tuesday nights. Also used to hang out with Alan Roberts,Derek Longley,Martin Hardman(muffer),Brian Wilson(bert),to name but a few.