Pitsmoor in the 60s

Hi everyone,

just found this site, really addictive reading so I thought I would share my memories of pitsmoor.

stensons,cooks,lockeys,taylors,hardmans,pursehouses,marshes,

these are original neighbours when we moved into our house,

find the missing family and you should know of us/me.

Went to pye bank , someone mentioned loco club? my fondest memory of sunday night strippers at maybe 8-10 yr old climbing on railings then up the wall to an outside fan, you could just see the stage.I can only remember commitee men Joe Belshaw, & Alan Roberts dad(lived on tall towers, 12th floor) used to chase us.

Sliding down hancocks hill in winter,fishing/scromping/playing in rowe woods, football on the rec,used to love scrounging in old houses.

Does anyone remember The Bomb? old waste ground on rock street.

i rember the waste ground i lived round corner on marcus street look on this site is bring back some very happy memories do you rember foxy who lived on rock st happy days

I don't know of Carla's whereabouts now, but it is one name I do remember from my early childhood in Pitsmoor as she was born the day after me. Apparantly her Mum was in the bed next to mine.

Angi

does anyone now the were abouts of Carla Somersete daughter to Pet and Lynne sister to Nigel and Debby husbands name john ? thy lived on verdon st same side as the furnavil pub pet went inthe furnival in 70s and 80s thanks

I come from denholme close lived at side of millwards.Great times,grest mates.

The tunnel in question was ncknamed the firey jack.Used to go to pye bank,played in best football team, not ina league.This was run by the legendry pe teacher andy chambers.Back to denholme football and cricket played between the garages,british bulldog played on grass from garage to wall on top of hill,many hours passed by.

I lived on denholme close before moving to pye bank road, on the bottom (number 5 i think), I remeber the games you mention, did you play "kick can" or make the grass slides where we used to get old carboard boxes and slide done the hill so the grass went yellow and slippy. The hills where on the way to the shops (not very big and used to end at the brick wall where there was a bit of a drop). I remember the haunted firey jack, I was too young to go but my sister went, or so she said. Names I remember, bingham, tantum, higgins, morris, smedley, gelsthorpe to name but a few.

I lived on denholme close before moving to pye bank road, on the bottom (number 5 i think), I remeber the games you mention, did you play "kick can" or make the grass slides where we used to get old carboard boxes and slide done the hill so the grass went yellow and slippy. The hills where on the way to the shops (not very big and used to end at the brick wall where there was a bit of a drop). I remember the haunted firey jack, I was too young to go but my sister went, or so she said. Names I remember, bingham, tantum, higgins, morris, smedley, gelsthorpe to name but a few.

A few more names spring to mind Jenkinsons,hogans,beals ,mcgrath,cranstons,blake,mallinsons.We played kick can,plus the one where you used to draw arrows on the floor whie on the run.I lived on the bottom ,we used to have the garage as a den payed rent to the council for it

I remember some of those names, I can't remember her name but one of the the beal's (daughter) used to knock about with my cousin at Herries. I was in the same year as one of the Blakes and Mallinsons.

I lived on Andover Drive, Denholme and Pye bank before moving to Longley in the early 80's.

Did you ever play a game called mad dog, we used to play it in the wash yard and wind my mates dog up by going up the washing poles next to the wall where the garages were and shouting the dog, he used to run up the ramp to get to us and we would then slide down the poles shouting the dog, he would then run down the ramp and guess what , we went back up the pole and shouted him from the top again. At the time it all seemed like fun until one day I got fed up of playing and made off across the wash yard while the game was still in progress and the dog ran up to me and bit my hand, At the time I couldn't understand why the dog didn't know I wasn't playing anymore.

does anyone now the were abouts of Carla Somersete daughter to Pet and Lynne sister to Nigel and Debby husbands name john ? thy lived on verdon st same side as the furnavil pub pet went inthe furnival in 70s and 80s thanks

Yes, i'm still in touch with the Somersets, Pete sadly past away awhile back.!

See Deb's from time to time, she lives in Worksop..

Nigel lives near Hull...Carla and john (etches)..are ok when i last spoke to deb's...which wasnt too long back.

jt

cant remember that one,remember the rucks we used to have with the mob from marcus.Also playing football sunday afternoon,about 15 aside with the older lads straight from pub.I lived at 51,if you lived at 5 you lived at side of the savouries.Moved to montfort drive early eighties,after getting married.