Pitsmoor in the 60s

[quote=mayie;

I have just discovered the forum and read your post about Gillotts Bakery explosion, I also worked there at the time in the garage section with Bob Rushforth. Amongst other that work there was Fred Liddlow, Morris Hopper and gaffer Harry Savage. I was actually there when the explosion happened and helped douse the flames that engulfed Bob.

That was my post mayie, not geocol, are you the one that had the blue Triumph 21 ? I used to hang around the garage after we'd finished our run, I worked with Betty Bullock at the time, seem to think she married Fred some years later after he got divorced, he was lucky not to be there when the explosion occured, because he was off work with a broken leg at the time.

my cousin lived on andover st his name is Eric(jim) Thew and my relation Jimmy Thorpe lived on Woodside Lane he was the biggest bookie in Sheffield at the time hes in Fred Passes book Wheers mi Mam,Tony Mercer a singer with the Black and White minstrals.

my cousin lived on andover st his name is Eric(jim) Thew and my relation Jimmy Thorpe lived on Woodside Lane he was the biggest bookie in Sheffield at the time hes in Fred Passes book Wheers mi Mam,Tony Mercer a singer with the Black and White minstrals.

Tony Mercer went to Pye Bank school.Did your cousin live in the flats?

hi i lived 4 doors away from the thorpe i knocked around with alan he had a sister called elaine he use to collect bets across from our house mum use to warn him when the cops were coming

Hi darra

No he lived in the upside down houses,he was known locally as the General,dont know why!!!!

I used to live in the flats and the people underneath us were called TEW thought yours might have been a typo :)

• 3 months later...
hiya i was at pye bank school when andybags [mrs andrews ] was there, remember the chant everyone sang. Good god what a witch ...

I think every one who went to Pye bank school in the 70's remembers Mrs Andrews and still shudder at the mention of her name