Pitsmoor in the 60s

There was a bloke who worked with Bob who had his own business.

Pete, the bloke I'm thinking of started after Bob's death, whatever happened to Maurice, I remember him coming back to work, his scars were awful.

[quote=mayie;

at the moment having a problem remembering who you was did you work in the garage

No, I worked on the vans, started around the same time as you 1958, straight from school, got put off just before my 17th birthday because I was due for a pay rise, cheap labour in those days.

I used to sit in the garage until the bloke with the blue Triumph finished work, he used to give me a lift home, seem to remember that you lived either just above the paper shop or below it ?

I remember most of them Pete, Jim Rawson was in charge of the retail vans & my boss from memory, there was a lot of back biting for his job when he retired.

What about Alf Beckingham, Tony Vardy, Ann Johnstone, Betty Bullock, her brother also worked there, he had a 650cc green BSA which he parked around the garage area.

There is a thread on here about Gillotts bakery, type it into the search facility.

went to All saints school myself and remeber Mr Hall the headmaster. Lived on Earsham Street with Grandmother Had family also living on there the Youngs and the Holmes. When was grown up also lived on Grimesthorpe Road and used to go in the Normanton also went to Burngreave School when Miss Yates was the headmistress

In the late 60's drinking in the Hallcar, I told my friends & neighbours that we were heading down under to Oz for a better life, they called me a daft bugger & said it'll be oreyht when tha gets thi new owse afta slum cleerance etc, this is where we have lived for the last 37 years, AM I A DAFT BUGGER ?

Hello Skippy,

With regard to the Hallcar Tavern , Its gone the way of many pubs in Sheffield and has been sold in July 2009 at auction for £52,000 also The Rock at Pitsmoor sold for £96,000.

Cheers

Mr. Freedom lol did all those things u brought some memories back. But am a little older than u and was around in Pitsmoor Earsham street in the 40s and fifties left for a few years and always seem to wander back here lol was good old place learnt to swim my self in Sutherland Rd baths and the White house chippies was the best. Then this areas was very family orientated. Clearing the slums did a lot of harm to families and good friends where u all seem to loose contact

• 2 weeks later...
Can anyone remember a girl called Ann turton getting knock down petre st opposite

teh post office

I was knocked down there when there were roadworks on Petre Street. That was around 1965.

I was coming out of All Saints School and the assistant head, Miss Sails, refused to let junior children come out of the infant gate to cross with the lollipop crossing. There were heavy roadworks on the other end, and I got knocked down because we couldn't see what was coming. Luckily I wasn't too badly injured, but after my mum had been up to pay Miss Sails a visit, we could all use the infant gate!

Edited by shelby46