Pitsmoor in the 60s

I am not sure you have got the right person. We were at number 64 Nottingham Street with houses on either side. You went up the passage to the back gate (which was wooden). There was waste ground opposite, which grandma said was bomb damage. My brothers were Jim, Robert and Lewis.

I am not sure you have got the right person. We were at number 64 Nottingham Street with houses on either side. You went up the passage to the back gate (which was wooden). There was waste ground opposite, which grandma said was bomb damage. My brothers were Jim, Robert and Lewis.

Yes you are right i have got the wrong person, i must have missread your post i was thinking you lived at the side the so called bomb site.

Unless there's a thread 'Pitsmoor in the 50s' this thread will have to suffice. While home on leave for the weekend from Catterick Training Camp where I had started my National Service prior to going overseas, anyway at a loss where to go and wanting a change from the usual haunts, I finished up going to the Greystones Saturday dance. I think Greystones at Ecclesall was a picture palace with a dancehall. Anyway long story short I met a nice girl called Joyce Candlin who was from Pitsmoor and why I mention it she lived right in the middle of the area where most of the names and places I have read about on this thread. Now the big question is, is the name familiar? she also had girl pal, whose name I remembered for a long time but have now forgotten. It's no big deal, I just thought I would throw it out there and also because they were two smashing nice people.

Does anybody remember Bill Anderton from the bottom of Fitzalan Street.

Six court one. He had a greengrocery round with a horse and cart. I believe he started out by selling fish from a box which he carried on his head. I never

saw this but it didn't stop me and lots of other urchins from chanting

"Billy Anderton sells fish

Three aif pence a dish

Don't buy it don't buy it

It stinks when you fry it".

Of course we didn't let him hear us. I didn't want the double smack.

One from him and another from mi Dad

• 1 year later...
Can anybody recall playing football on the Burngreave Danville mount in the late 50s, early 60s.Even when I was about 10 , my brothers, Gordon Walt Willis used to carry the goal post from The Guards Rest on Sorby St.Different pubs would play each other on sunday mornings. Each game would atract quite a good following untill it was time for the pub to open up. It was actually illegal to play organised football on sunday mornings. This was probably the fore runner of Sunday football as we have now

I've heard of pe0ple carrying goalposts from the Star Inn on Danville St but from Sorby Street and that's uphill! Can some one explain the Derek Dooley connection with that part of Sheffield (Apart from him playing football?) and that bloke 'Redfyre's is too modest, HE wrote that (great) book!

I've heard of pe0ple carrying goalposts from the Star Inn on Danville St but from Sorby Street and that's uphill! Can some one explain the Derek Dooley connection with that part of Sheffield (Apart from him playing football?) and that bloke 'Redfyre's is too modest, HE wrote that (great) book!

If my memory serves (i wasnt born then) he Derrick Dooley was born in Bramber street.

Hi Kathryn ,My name is Denise Morgan it used to be Cotton .i remember all the names you mentioned plus a few more . would be nice to talk over old times .please get in touch[/QUOTe

Hi Denise. Only just logged back after may months, so apologies for not replying. We children who lived on the even side of Nottingham Street in the fifties seemed to play out all the time with no adult supervision. It was a great freedom which I now appreciate when looking round the streets today. But I'm not good on names (now 65). There was you and your brother, the Froggatts? Norman? me (Kath), my sister Di, and perhaps brother Jimmy. Who else? We played on the corner round the telephone box and lamp-post and played tiggy round the police box in the middle of the road - no cars then.

I was at Pyebank school from 1955-61. Were you in my year or Di's? Who do you remember? In my year there was Susan Burns, Avril Hastings, Kathleen Pilgrim, Audrey Vallance, Catherine Marshall, Denise Matthews, Denise Marsh, June Lee, Josie Gale, Jennifer Mallinder. (Denise a very popular name that year!)

Anyway any memories you have would be gratefully received. Best wishes Kathryn Dodd (nee Jones)

Hi Kathryn,was so excited to get a reply, i'm 59 this year.Did you have a sister called Jennifer? some of the other families on our street were the Readings, Glossops who's daughter my brother kevin married then later divorced.Further up the street on the opposite side were the ellis's and next door to them i think were the first black family on our St, at the top were the Sheppards