Pitsmoor in the 60s

Yes Mister Freedom I too remember those days very well.Remember the time Stephen Braeley put beetroot in Alans shoe on April the 1st. And the three bells trick Stephen brought back from Jimmys joke shop.(nobody could ever guess what hand the bell was in).Can you also remember the time we nicked those planks of timber from C&R Walls on Petre Street and made that trolly that could seat about 5 lads.

I used to go to All Saints School ( top of Lyons Street) in the 60's the kids who were there at that tlme were the Braeley brothers-Lyons Street, the Walmsley brothers-Edgar Street,Robert & Laddie Kaczmarcek,Mick Barker,Robert Allen, Ronnie Longhurst-Thorndon Road,Ian Broadbent-Earsham Street plus many more. Our fun in those days was going down to Sutherland Road Baths, going to the Coliseum Cinema on Spital Hill making Trollies and do you remember the Throwing Arrows and Tack Guns we Used to make.I also remember the bonfires we used to build from the timber nicked off old man Nicholsons lorry. Ah the good old days!

Yes thats funny I remember, I used to make good throwing arrows with cane and playing cards and a piece of string with a knot in it and tack guns.

I remember someone throwing an arrow from the top of smithsfield and it landed on my head.

We also tried to harden conkers (in the oven, pickle in vinegar etc) But they really never worked.

Been trying to get old photos of Lyons St, Edger St no success yet or Nicholsons lorry minus some wood.

Yes thats funny I remember, I used to make good throwing arrows with cane and playing cards and a piece of string with a knot in it and tack guns.

I remember someone throwing an arrow from the top of smithsfield and it landed on my head.

We also tried to harden conkers (in the oven, pickle in vinegar etc) But they really never worked.

Been trying to get old photos of Lyons St, Edger St no success yet or Nicholsons lorry minus some wood.

Sackville,

I drive past Lyons St. Edgar St. and Petre St. every day, apart from a few small firms its still derelict with just a kids playing field where we used to live. On a grey rainy morning I bet its not quite the same as Florida.

There are some old photos in the Sheffield Libraries archive some of which are on their website but I will see if I can copy a couple and get them to you which should bring back some memories.

My mum - pam young (nee pyne) was born on stockton street in 1929. she lived there with her mum and dad, 3 sisters and 2 brothers, and used to tell me about the hardships they endured during ww2 and after.

She married in 1950, and im not sure where she moved to after that, but lived on newman road when my brother was born in 1960 and me in 67.

I recall her telling me of hiding in the cellar during the air-raids etc ... but this is probably too early for the time you are researching.

sue :D

Sackville,

I drive past Lyons St. Edgar St. and Petre St. every day, apart from a few small firms its still derelict with just a kids playing field where we used to live. On a grey rainy morning I bet its not quite the same as Florida.

There are some old photos in the Sheffield Libraries archive some of which are on their website but I will see if I can copy a couple and get them to you which should bring back some memories.

I checked Sheffield libraries archives on wesite for photos already Thanks, got the corner of Petre St and Lyons ST and looking up towards All Saints school.But I guess like most people in the good old days, Didnt have cameras b/w or sepia.

Hi John,Remember when you and i were members of the Sheffield photographic society.I had a Nikon FE and you had just bought a CANNON.

You used to drop me of in town in your MGB GT. Are you still into photography ?.Nice to know your doing well with your film company.Still into martial arts i see .Can you remember old Phill Milner who used to teach karate at the YMCA .

Hi John,Remember when you and i were members of the Sheffield photographic society.I had a Nikon FE and you had just bought a CANNON.

You used to drop me of in town in your MGB GT. Are you still into photography ?.Nice to know your doing well with your film company.Still into martial arts i see .Can you remember old Phill Milner who used to teach karate at the YMCA .

aka Stevie b

Hi Regblind

I remember all the places you've mentioned I also remember the White House chip shop, Hanckocks on Rock St. I used to live on Helen Terrace after moving from Grove St, I went to Pye Bank school and I was in the Boys Brigade at Andover St. We must know each other where did you live.

my great grandfather owned the white chip shop and my grandad also worked there in the 1920's

Hi my nan and grandad lived on andover drive my dad is alan croker and I know that my dad and mum lived with my nan when I was born in 1976 and dad had lived on there for about 15 years then I think. I also have an auntie called susan she is 5 years older than my dad so Im guessing from your posts she is probably more your age. Just wondered if you remembered them at all.

• 3 weeks later...
Gday sawguitar, I worked at Gillotts Bakery in 1958 just after leaving school, do you remember an explosion at Gillotts that killed a bloke called Bob who lived on Lyon St in the 60's & the explosion on Canada St in the late 60's?.

The exposion in Canada Street demolished at least one house, killing a couple called Jack and Freda Martin. They were a lovely couple. Hopefully they died in their sleep without knowing anything about it.

At the time it was described as a gas explosion, but many local people suspected it was a UXB, searched for but never found in 1940.