Club Floor Clearers

Went out the other night for a boogie. Good Vibe...loadsa revellers on the dancefloor. The DJ starts playing Black Dog by Led Zeppelin....and it totally clears the floor due to its stop/start nature and general lack oif 'dancebility.' After that people started heading for the door. Got me thinking if anyone has any more examples of DJ'ing disasters where one wrong choice of music completely takes all the boogieing momentum out of the evening?

I forgot to mention my big gaff. I used to be the Friday Night DJ at our college disco. This was in the days of Yazz...S Express...D Mob etc. Driven to a state of suicidal agst by Rick Astley...and in a state of considerable inebriation.... I thought it would be great to play The Duck And Roger The Horse by Cardiacs. It was like I'd thrown a grenade into the middle of the dancefloor! To find out why here's a free download.

http://www.cardiacs.com/downloads/

seems like the tune most likely to clear any dance floor is the one that some punter is asking for from about 5 minutes into the gig and dosent leave you alone unitll you put it on, they then vanish into the dark recesses of the room and the dance looks like someone just pulled the pin out of a hand grenade.

other classic floor emptiers are (on the party front) play some songs off of this list that we have put together everyone likes them, they pay the money we play the tunes but why oh why cant they leave us alone no one tells the bus driver how to drive or the carpet fitter how to lay the carpet but everyone knows what tunes will work at their party, 20 + years of reading an audience and trying to find the right tune (not allways I admit) we do have some ideas.

Archived