Could we be heading for another Scottish Independence Referendum?

It does seem as though the May General Election is heading for a stalemate with both major parties heading for around 265 to 285 each.

With the Lib/Dems likely to be hard hit their 20 or so MPs would not be large enough to form a coalition with either Labour nor the Conservatives to form a stable government. UKIP are expected to win votes but only 5 or 6 seats at best

Also it looks like Labour will get trashed in Scotland with the SNP taking the vast majority of Labours current seats. The SNP are likely to end up as king makers with perhaps 45 seats.

So what could the major parties offer the SNP that would earn their support?

Looking at the polls it seems 66% of Scots want another referendum on independence. As this is the prime aim of the SNP which of the major parties might be prepared to offer this to Nicola Sturgeon?

Would Labour risk loosing what remains of their Scottish seats and wind up with a minority government, or could the Tories actually do a deal where they allowed Scotland to go it alone in exchange for support on the boundary changes?

My opinion, for what it's worth, is that the Scottish Nazi Party will keep pushing until they get what they want or are destroyed.

wow we agree on something :o

---------- Post added 02-04-2015 at 16:35 ----------

Hopefully the English can vote on Scottish independence next time round. I read somewhere that Scottish independence was more popular this side of the border!

Hopefully.

But if Scotland becomes independent how will we survive without the North Sea Oil revenues? Scotland will be filthy rich and powerful and we will be poor and destitute, oh, wait.......

Not at all, revenue from the north sea is well down. We could manage very well, city of London is increasingly central for financial services and estimates state that we will overtake Germany economically by 2030/35. If Scotland float off, and I hope they do, that time frame goes back about 5 years.

Not at all, revenue from the north sea is well down. We could manage very well, city of London is increasingly central for financial services and estimates state that we will overtake Germany economically by 2030/35. If Scotland float off, and I hope they do, that time frame goes back about 5 years.

I'm pretty sure that North Sea oil revenue is offset by the billion we pay to subsidise Scotland. The oil revenue falls year on year and the subsidy increases year on year, so the sooner we get shut the better before someone twigs.

But my thought was in May with a hung parliament and Cameron desperate to put together any alliance he could. Would he offer the SNP a referendum in order to stay in power?

Thoughts.. Well they are going to leave the union anyhow, so why not stay in power and sort out the West Lothian question once and for all.

I'm pretty sure that North Sea oil revenue is offset by the billion we pay to subsidise Scotland. The oil revenue falls year on year and the subsidy increases year on year, so the sooner we get shut the better before someone twigs.

But my thought was in May with a hung parliament and Cameron desperate to put together any alliance he could. Would he offer the SNP a referendum in order to stay in power?

Thoughts.. Well they are going to leave the union anyhow, so why not stay in power and sort out the West Lothian question once and for all.

I agree with everything you say, I cant see Cameron aligning with the SNP and the SNP leaders seem to have specifically ruled out an arrangement with the Tories. My nightmare scenario is Milliband and SNP. Whereas with Lib/Tory administration we stayed in the centre ground the libs not allowing the Tories to go too far right, I fear that Labour/SNP would lead to stasis. It would be short term fixes, more and more borrowing and, in the event of another financial meltdown, chaos.

If we stay with Cameron this time, allow him to further steady he ship, this will give the Labour party time to sort itself out. We may well be ready for a change in 2020 but not now.

It does seem as though the May General Election is heading for a stalemate with both major parties heading for around 265 to 285 each.

With the Lib/Dems likely to be hard hit their 20 or so MPs would not be large enough to form a coalition with either Labour nor the Conservatives to form a stable government. UKIP are expected to win votes but only 5 or 6 seats at best

Also it looks like Labour will get trashed in Scotland with the SNP taking the vast majority of Labours current seats. The SNP are likely to end up as king makers with perhaps 45 seats.

So what could the major parties offer the SNP that would earn their support?

Looking at the polls it seems 66% of Scots want another referendum on independence. As this is the prime aim of the SNP which of the major parties might be prepared to offer this to Nicola Sturgeon?

Would Labour risk loosing what remains of their Scottish seats and wind up with a minority government, or could the Tories actually do a deal where they allowed Scotland to go it alone in exchange for support on the boundary changes?

If there is another referendum everyone in the UK should get a vote.