Ponds Forge, Hillsborough and other Sheffield swimming pool temperatures

Are you saying your daughter is shivering after 5 minutes at Hillsborough ? If so can`t understand that at all. The first time our lad went to H/B he started shivering after about 20 minutes but he was only 11 weeks old ! Once he started moving (I wouldn`t go so far as to call it swimming, not then anyway ! ) he was fine for any length of time. Now, he`s 2 years 1 month, he stays in for an hour and then complains when we take home out !

Yes thats what i said- both pools.

I guess you must be lucky, me and my other friends that take our kids all say the same that it could do with being warmer.

I guess you must be lucky, me and my other friends that take our kids all say the same that it could do with being warmer.

I don`t understand that.

Before our son was born we never went to Hillsborough because (as has been mentioned before in this thread) the water is actually too warm to swim (hard) in the lanes. I was desperate for them to reduce the temperature.

Since our lad turned up we`re there at least once a week so he can swim and I`ve changed my mind, obviously ! Ideally they should have the lanes pool cooler than the leisure pool but they can`t for the reasons already stated. Bearing that in mind, all in all, I think they`ve probably got the temperature about right, bearing in mind serious swimmers can always go to Ponds Forge. Assuming it`s not closed (yet again) for a competition........

I can`t wait for him to be able to swim properly then we can all go to Ponds Forge. Incidentally, what`s the youngest lane swimmer anyone has ever seen at PF ? ! ? Our lad`s two years one month old and can swim but only under water ! However, I suspect getting him to master breathing could take some time ! !

Edited by Justin Smith

• 1 month later...

I went down to Hillsborough pool yesterday and it did seem rather cooler than normal. I would say mid way between the normal Hillsborough pool temp and Ponds Forge lanes. Whilst he was swimming our nipper was fine with it though. Normally I`d have been very pleased at slightly cooler water because when we both go with our lad we take it in turns to swim in the lanes. But, ironically, my wife wasn`t there, just me and my 2 year old, so I couldn`t take advantage of it !

With young kids I find Ponds Forge far too cold, this is the issue with it being a venue for competitive swimmers and families, there is no happy medium.

Hillsborough is hit and miss, but usually it is ok if little ones keep active!

With young kids I find Ponds Forge far too cold, this is the issue with it being a venue for competitive swimmers and families, there is no happy medium.

Hillsborough is hit and miss, but usually it is ok if little ones keep active!

I agree with you that there is no happy medium for kids playing about (or even adults lounging about ! ) and lane swimming in water of the same temperature.

PF is too cool to play about in and/or spend significant amounts of time stood still on the side. But really small kids wouldn`t be swimming in the PF competition pool because it`s 2m deep and it`s purely a lane swimming pool, thus they`d have to be strongish swimmers. Anyone (including a child capable of swimming lengths) who swims strongly at PF won`t find it cold, not after a few minutes work anyway.

• 9 months later...

As an addition, the Sheffield Telegraph reports that the temperature of Hathersage open air pool (when heated, usually late March onwards) is 28 degrees centigrade.

We love Hathersage pool, the only trouble is that when you really want to go (when it`s warm and sunny) is when everyone else wants to go, then, half the time, you can`t get in because it`s full ! And that`s a long trip to find that....... Has anyone any hints as to avoid that ?

As an addition, the Sheffield Telegraph reports that the temperature of Hathersage open air pool (when heated, usually late March onwards) is 28 degrees centigrade.

We love Hathersage pool, the only trouble is that when you really want to go (when it`s warm and sunny) is when everyone else wants to go, then, half the time, you can`t get in because it`s full ! And that`s a long trip to find that....... Has anyone any hints as to avoid that ?

Hathersage pool always seems warmer than 28C. I love swimming there when it is raining. It is much quieter, and still very pleasant.

Hathersage pool always seems warmer than 28C. I love swimming there when it is raining. It is much quieter, and still very pleasant.

We once drove all the way out to Hathersage to swim in the pool and it was intermittently raining. We still wanted to swim but they wouldn`t let us saying there was a risk of lightning ! I have to say we were a bit annoyed.....

We once drove all the way out to Hathersage to swim in the pool and it was intermittently raining. We still wanted to swim but they wouldn`t let us saying there was a risk of lightning ! I have to say we were a bit annoyed.....

Haha, hazard of an outdoor pool, I suppose. I must have been lucky and had only safe rain...