JSA, out of contributions, new sign-on..

Unfortunate enough to have been unemployed for more than the permitted 182 days, so no benefit payable because my NI contributions are "exhausted".

Don't qualify for Income based, nor Pension credits, therefore no payment.

Zilch.

OK - if that's the rule, so be it.

To further rub salt in the wound though, I am "very shortly" to have to attend the Job Centre every day rather than weekly or fortnightly...and no, I'm not able to claim for travel by any method, or parking if that was the case.

I've also been "warned" that the daily attendance won't necessarily be at the same time every day, presumably on the grounds that I've nothing better to do?

When I queried the need, I was told that their hands were tied - there was nothing they could do.

I'm lucky enough to have a mortgage insurance policy which covers 50% of each month's payment for 12 months, given that I can provide evidence of the jobs I've applied for, but guess what else I have to ? Yes, be registered as unemployed...

Ridiculous?

Why must you sign on if you aren't recieving benefit? What can they do to you if you fail to turn up?

EDIT: Ah I see. Maybe you should just get a job.

Any other pearls of wisdom?

---------- Post added 02-04-2015 at 23:38 ----------

RiffRaff, if you had no other income you would receive income based JSA. You must have access to other funds within your household not to have qualified.

Spouse's salary.

She earns above legal minimum, but not by a deal.

The threshold escapes me for the minute, but it doesn't take many hours at a fairly ordinary wage to exceed it...

RiffRaff, if you had no other income you would receive income based JSA. You must have access to other funds within your household not to have qualified.

See, some people will just not accept that in the 6th richest country in the world, their fellow citizens can be left high and dry with nothing. Even when it comes from the horses mouth.

I can assure them it happens all the time. If it wasn't for the good will of friends and family the shop doorways of this fair city would be packed with people in sleeping bags.

See, some people will just not accept that in the 6th richest country in the world, their fellow citizens can be left high and dry with nothing. Even when it comes from the horses mouth.

I can assure them it happens all the time. If it wasn't for the good will of friends and family the shop doorways of this fair city would be packed with people in sleeping bags.

And I haven't got a sleeping bag!

It's a somewhat stark choice : inconvenience and outlay every single day (and for what?) versus a couple of hundred quid a month against my mortgage.

Hobson's choice, until the insurance cover ceases...

I am in the same position as you RiffRaff, I recieved a letter from JSA as my 182 days has run out,I re-applied for JSA and was told I "we can not pay you because your partner work more than 24hrs a week" So I am not recieving any income at all.

this really P---es me off as I worked for forty years before being made redundant.

I also recieved a letter stating that the allowance Ive been payed is taxable and will be deducted from my earnings when in my next employment.

I am in the same position as you RiffRaff, I recieved a letter from JSA as my 182 days has run out,I re-applied for JSA and was told I "we can not pay you because your partner work more than 24hrs a week" So I am not recieving any income at all.

this really P---es me off as I worked for forty years before being made redundant.

I also recieved a letter stating that the allowance Ive been payed is taxable and will be deducted from my earnings when in my next employment.

Easy solution, go to a temp agency and take any job even in the catering business such as washing up for the day or warehouse packing, or cleaning, then re-apply for JSA again for another 182 days. You never know the temp agency might find you something more permanent. :)

Edited by poppet2

Benefits are not for the people that have paid in for forty years, they are there to support the people that have never worked. ;)