JSA, out of contributions, new sign-on..

Got verification today that I will indeed have to "sign on" on a daily basis from next Wednesday. Also got clarification as to the reason, which differs to your summary above - the daily attendance is obligatory for everyone who's been unemployed over a certain time (7 months in my case).

It would appear, and this is why I was not aware of it, you are taking part in "The Jobseeker’s Allowance Supervised Jobsearch Pilot Scheme.

The idea is for you to attend daily sessions to help you find work more quickly.

This is a pilot scheme and not standard policy to test the effectiveness of intensive job search support to clients.

If you had a job, you would be required to attend daily for longer, so in the grand scheme of things, this may be inconvenient but thats all.

As far as I'm aware, Poppet2, it's just the same procedure as usual ; one-to-one, check that you've "done something to find a job" since yesterday, filled your silly little book in and registered your actions on the UJ site.

Time taken? Depends...I'll let you know!

And yes, sign off, and the unemployment numbers go down....

Why dont you claim to be 'self employed'? keep looking for employment like you are doing but claim tax credits? the dwp get you off the books and you get an income. It may be less than JSA - check it out.

How these fools can leave you with no income is reprehensible.

It would appear, and this is why I was not aware of it, you are taking part in "The Jobseeker’s Allowance Supervised Jobsearch Pilot Scheme.

The idea is for you to attend daily sessions to help you find work more quickly.

This is a pilot scheme and not standard policy to test the effectiveness of intensive job search support to clients.

If you had a job, you would be required to attend daily for longer, so in the grand scheme of things, this may be inconvenient but thats all.

And what exactly are they going to do to 'help' RiffRaff find work more quickly that he hasn't already done himself?

Don't kid yourself. It's just a form of harrassment.

No its not and I have made the reasons clear in my previous post. RiffRaff has already stated his/her partner earns too much for them to claim. They are not left with nothing. I did it too and I lived to tell the tale.

---------- Post added 30-04-2015 at 14:29 ----------

And what exactly are they going to do to 'help' RiffRaff find work more quickly that he hasn't already done himself?

Don't kid yourself. It's just a form of harrassment.

Its not harassment to expect someone who is capable to do everything they can to get a job.

No its not and I have made the reasons clear in my previous post. RiffRaff has already stated his/her partner earns too much for them to claim. They are not left with nothing. I did it too and I lived to tell the tale.

---------- Post added 30-04-2015 at 14:29 ----------

Its not harassment to expect someone who is capable to do everything they can to get a job.

True, my wife works 8 hours a day, 5 days a week for a tad over legal minimum, so discounting us from Pension Credits and income based support. We have to manage what we can as regarding sorting out pre-existing debts, and 'make do' with what's left.

'Harrassment'? No, not really...just inconvenient.

As you know, I've even offered my services free of charge for 3 months (save for travelling expenses and statutory insurances) to any employer who is prepared to train me in anything more than half-interesting....this in addition to checking daily emails from the likes of Reed/Indeed/CV-Library et al, and applying for likely positions.

I still can't see the point of trailing me over to Chesterfield (in my case) every single day...

Why dont you claim to be 'self employed'? keep looking for employment like you are doing but claim tax credits? the dwp get you off the books and you get an income. It may be less than JSA - check it out.

If he claims to be self employed I don't think he will get a stamp unless he pays for it himself.

Actually there is a whole lot of trouble brewing for the future with unemployed people, people on 0 hours, etc. who don't realise their national insurance contributions will be down and they won't be entitled to a pension.

hiya RiffRaff .. sorry to hear your story, its one big scam mate .. have you tried to claim Hardship Payment ?

No, my friend, I haven't...nor has it been mentioned at the Centre.

Could be wrong, but isn't it just a loan? I could well do without borrowing any more!

---------- Post added 30-04-2015 at 16:08 ----------

If he claims to be self employed I don't think he will get a stamp unless he pays for it himself.

Actually there is a whole lot of trouble brewing for the future with unemployed people, people on 0 hours, etc. who don't realise their national insurance contributions will be down and they won't be entitled to a pension.

That's correct - I was a sole trader many years ago, and had to fork out every so often....it was less (then) than the normal stamp from what I remember.

As regards your other statement, I don't know : all I can say is that I've paid NI contributions in some form or other since 1969, and bar the last 7 months, haven't utilised unemployment benefit.

Don't people who receive JSA have their stamp paid? Isn't that part of it?