JSA, out of contributions, new sign-on..

Please keep us updated. This is a very interesting thread.

Good luck with your independent job search.

Will do...and thank you.

Interesting to note that when I signed off by phone, the question of whether I'd found employment was not asked....simply NI number, name and address, and when I would like the claim to cease.

I was 'warned' that the process would take approximately 10 minutes - correct - but the vast majority of the time was taken up by a declaration, read out to me in a total monotone voice, warning that if I'd supplied any false information during my claim process, further legal action could be taken....

• 2 weeks later...

Dear Rifraf

If you are still unemployed you may like to consider doing a bit a research. All of us at Jordanthorpe were 11 plus failures. Admittedly just failures, but condemned to GCSE Woodwork and TD, rather than more academic subjects; probably more use in the long run :-) I know that Martin Havenhand went on to be some big shot in local government and Peter Cowen runs, or ran a golf centre in the Middle East. It would be interesting to see what the others got up to. There is a possible book in it.

Its just an idea, if you are looking for something to do. I am happy to help, but I am away from Sheffield, so it would be at a distance.

All the best

Ian

register as self employed - earn £0

Claim working Tax Credit (as you will technically be earning under the threshold) - it's about £50/week

While ever you're claiming working tax also, you may be able to get top up benefits such as council tax - and free prescriptions...

You will have to file a yearly tax return - but providing you enter 0 as earnings and put details of your working tax it'll be fine...

Dear Rifraf

If you are still unemployed you may like to consider doing a bit a research. All of us at Jordanthorpe were 11 plus failures. Admittedly just failures, but condemned to GCSE Woodwork and TD, rather than more academic subjects; probably more use in the long run :-) I know that Martin Havenhand went on to be some big shot in local government and Peter Cowen runs, or ran a golf centre in the Middle East. It would be interesting to see what the others got up to. There is a possible book in it.

Its just an idea, if you are looking for something to do. I am happy to help, but I am away from Sheffield, so it would be at a distance.

All the best

Ian

Peter Cowen is without doubt the best golf coach in the world.

Dear Rifraf

All the best

Ian

Thank you, Ian.

I suspect I know you, in truth!

I was in the same class as Martin Havenhand all the way through 'secondary education' at Jordanthorpe.

I lost touch with all classmates after I left - the only other who found 'fame and fortune' to my knowledge was Ray Ashcroft, who appeared in a few films and Coronation Street amongst other TV work.

I had a slight touch of good fortune when working for a couple of really 'big name' bands of the late 60s/70s, but failed to realise the full possibilities!