Radio in the 1960's

I can remember listening to radio Luxembourg as a teenager, but I wonder what was on the radio. I think Radio Sheffield came on in about 1967, but what was on before that. Who were the radio announcers and what were the shows? I'm writing a novel about Sheffield at that time and I just can't remember. Cheershttp://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/images/smilies/help.gif

Radio One came on in 1967 not Radio Sheffield and the first record was Flowers in the Rain by the Move played by Tony Blackclock who ran grovelling to BBC after Radio Caroline got shut down. I used to be a member of FRA (Free Radio Association)

Hello thank you so much for this, I will definitely use that later on in my novel. My character gets up on a winter's morning in 1961 and puts the radio on... I'm wondering what news/ newsreader would be on and maybe if I could track down a local story or would it have just been National or Yorkshire BBC at that time. Oh my goodness I so remember Flowers in the Rain!!! Cheers

Hi Julie. With regard to popular music. Your choice was probably, as you'll remember, Pick of the Pops on the Light Programme on a Sunday or desperately straining night after night to pull in Radio Luxembourg through all the static.

Pretty sure Caroline and other pirates didn't arrive till round 64.

I think a lot of families were similar to ours where Sunday was based round a roast dinner and listening to the radio most of the day.

Probably starting with the Archers, Wilfred Pickles, Two Way Family Favourites ( Can you hear me , Judith? ) then Navy Lark, the Goons or whatever was current. Think there was then maybe some light music before Pick of the Pops and then the depressing strains of Sing Something Simple.

Obviously I'd check to make sure ive got that right if you wanted to use any of that

Don't want to state the obvious but if you Google Radio in the 60s you'll find the names of most of the Light Programme presenters.

From my memory there was no local radio at all

Edited by Dreb48
Addition

Holy Moley... I lOVED them all ...the Goons and the Navy Lark and I've suddenly remembered the Clitheroe Kid. I'm sure we also used to listen to plays on the radio. Somehow I can remember sitting around the fire, listening to these evening programs but I can't remember what was on the radio in the mornings, - I must have been disinterested... rushing off to school and I especially have no memory of the newsreaders at all. I am wondering if there is a radio archive anywhere that I can access.

Do love remembering all this old stuff though!

Radio One came on in 1967 not Radio Sheffield and the first record was Flowers in the Rain by the Move played by Tony Blackclock who ran grovelling to BBC after Radio Caroline got shut down. I used to be a member of FRA (Free Radio Association)

Radio Sheffield started in 1967 according to its wiki page. I was surprised it was as early as that.

You know I don't remember that....Can I find out more.......is there any audio... is he the one who always got the time wrong that drove my dad mad?

There's a couple of small clips of him on You Tube. Sorry I can't do the link thing. Yes he did often get the time wrong

denlin

I too was a member of FRA and enjoyed listening to Radio 270, anchored off Scarborough, and the other pirates.

In fact I received correspondence from the PM Harold Wilson, not signed by him. I also received signed replies from Edward Heath and John Stonehouse, then the Postmaster General who became the original Reginald Perrin.

At that time the Light Programme only played a few hours oif popular music a week, notably Pick of the Pops and the Jimmy Young Show!!!

The land base of Radio 270 was in Filey and it was owned by Leonard Dale, who owned Dale Electronics, and Wilf Proudfoot, who owned Proudfoot's Supermarkets. I had protracted correspondence with both gentlemen, but the Labour government were determined to sink the Pirates.

My aunt lived in Frinton and when visiting we could sit on the sea front and see about five or six pirate ships. At night we could hold a 'conversation' with Johnnie Walker by flashing the car headlights.