Radio in the 1960's

Holy Moley... I lOVED them all ...the Goons and the Navy Lark and I've suddenly remembered the Clitheroe Kid. I'm sure we also used to listen to plays on the radio. Somehow I can remember sitting around the fire, listening to these evening programs but I can't remember what was on the radio in the mornings, - I must have been disinterested... rushing off to school and I especially have no memory of the newsreaders at all. I am wondering if there is a radio archive anywhere that I can access.

Do love remembering all this old stuff though!

The Navy Lark, Hancocks Half Hour, Dads Army, Round The Horne, I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again, Ken Dodd, Michael Bentine, all these comedy programmes can be heard on Radio 4 Extra, I listen to them from 19:00 to 20:00 Monday to Friday, brilliant!

denlin

I too was a member of FRA and enjoyed listening to Radio 270, anchored off Scarborough, and the other pirates.

In fact I received correspondence from the PM Harold Wilson, not signed by him. I also received signed replies from Edward Heath and John Stonehouse, then the Postmaster General who became the original Reginald Perrin.

At that time the Light Programme only played a few hours oif popular music a week, notably Pick of the Pops and the Jimmy Young Show!!!

The land base of Radio 270 was in Filey and it was owned by Leonard Dale, who owned Dale Electronics, and Wilf Proudfoot, who owned Proudfoot's Supermarkets. I had protracted correspondence with both gentlemen, but the Labour government were determined to sink the Pirates.

My aunt lived in Frinton and when visiting we could sit on the sea front and see about five or six pirate ships. At night we could hold a 'conversation' with Johnnie Walker by flashing the car headlights.

That's really interesting stuff IRONMONGER. I think you'll find the car headlight flashing mentioned in Johnnie Walker's autobiography

This maybe more early 1970's than the 1960's but I think the radio one schedule was as follows

7am - 9am. Tony Blackburn

9am - 11am. ????

11am - 1 pm. Jimmy Young

1 pm - 3pm. Johnnie walker

3pm - 5pm. DLT

These may not be 100% correct

News from September 1967. Sheffield United sold Mick Jones to Leeds. As a 12 year old I was gutted like 80% of the rest of Sheffield!

Edited by abbeyedges
Grammar

Not all the BBC radio comedy shows were on at Sunday lunchtime. I thought the 'Goons' and 'Hancock's Half Hour' were different days. Two more that were, I think: 'Ray's a Laugh' (with Ted Ray) and "Take It From Here' (with Jimmy Edwards). 'Round the Horne' was years ahead of it's time, what with the double-entendre's-in 1965 I didn't know what that meant or what they were on about either.

Absolutely brilliant... thank you so much. Have just spent the afternoon watching Tony Hancock, Eric Sykes etc, still hilarious!! The radio times link is perfect as I will be able to refer to it as I go through the years. Also checked out Jack De Manio on Desert Island Discs and Utube...fab! I'm living in Australia now so Sheffield Forum is such a great site to look things up. Thanks everyone...Have a great Easter.