Radio in the 1960's

That's really interesting stuff IRONMONGER. I think you'll find the car headlight flashing mentioned in Johnnie Walker's autobiography

I haven't read Johnnie Walker's autobiography although I do have several books on the Pirates. Harold Wilson sank our favourite radio stations and gave us Radio 1 as compensation. As a matter of principle I have NEVER listened to Radio 1 which I believe opened with Tony Blackleg. I suppose that time is a great healer and I do listen to the Johnnie Walker Show and Tony Blackburn on Radio 2.

I sometimes wonder if all the rumpus I created in the sixties lead to Sheffield having the second BBC local radio station.

my favorite radio program of this era was The Jack Jackson show on a Saturday afternoon about 1---there is no doubt were Kenny Everett got his format from--and how about this for working from home=I was told he pre recorded the show in his home of Teneriefe and sent them to the BBC---prior to that on a Saturday was the Murray Cash show which played C &W---other shows were Beyond our Ken/Round the horn----years ahead of its time

Macdonald hobley comes to mind, Uncle Mac. Childrens favorites, Two way family favorites, workers playtime, Mrs Dales diary. Then there was the Ovaltineis of which I was a member.probably still am !. I can still sing the song , but as my singing voice has been likened to an echo through a rusty pipe I shall spare you all the ordeal.

Macdonald hobley comes to mind, Uncle Mac. Childrens favorites, Two way family favorites, workers playtime, Mrs Dales diary. Then there was the Ovaltineis of which I was a member.probably still am !. I can still sing the song , but as my singing voice has been likened to an echo through a rusty pipe I shall spare you all the ordeal.

McDonald Hobley was a BBC continuity announcer, Derek McCulloch was 'Uncle Mac', both prevalent on post-war radio.

The Navy Lark, Hancocks Half Hour, Dads Army, Round The Horne, I'm Sorry I'll Read That Again, Ken Dodd, Michael Bentine, all these comedy programmes can be heard on Radio 4 Extra, I listen to them from 19:00 to 20:00 Monday to Friday, brilliant!

Not forgetting Beyond our Ken (1958-64) which preceded Round the Horne (1965 onwards.) All very funny radio programmes.

Echo

I still listen to Brian Matthew just before I go out on a Saturday ,but regardless of what I am doing ,Johny Walker is a must ( in fact listening to him while doing this.Having said that Radio 2 is on every day and never switched off.