Radio in the 1960's

Well juliehoward you have created a Frankenstein here.Sorry Tenaj13 I cannot recollect the Huggets,but it has pushed me to the limit concerning other programmes .As a nipper I can remember listening to Womans Hour ,Listen with mother with mi mum,as well as Mrs Dales Diary with mi grandmother.But then I recall in the 60`s was Much Binding in the Marsh ,then on a Sunday lunch was the Billy Cotton Band Show( Wakey ,wakey)

..........anyone remember 'meet the huggets'?!!!

Yep I'm afraid I do. Kathleen Harrison and Jack ( Dixon of Dock Green) Warner.

Evenin' all.

Just remembered. The link that andypandy has given us shows the front covers of several issues of Radio Times. I've actually still got the World Cup edition from July 66.

Edited by Dreb48
Addition

Until the mid-70s and the proliferation of independent local stations the vast majority of radio listeners used AM (MF, medium wave) rather than FM (VHF).

Until 1967 there was a choice of just three BBC stations:

The Home Service

The Light Programme

The Third Programme.

These subsequently became Radio 4, Radio 2 and Radio 3 respectively.

Unlike Radio 4 the Home Service was regional, offering opt-outs of regional news in England with a greater diversity of programmes in the other national regions.

Taken From:

http://tx.mb21.co.uk/info/bbc-am/bbc-am.shtml

The link that andypandy has given us shows the front covers of several issues of Radio Times. I've actually still got the World Cup edition from July 66.

The link that I posted is part of the BBC Genome project. Judging by some messages I have received, I don't think everyone realises that the Radio Times covers that are displayed, are actually links themselves, where you can see the listings of all the programmes, Radio & TV.

This next link shows them from the 1920's onwards: Clicky

Edited by handypandy

Well juliehoward you have created a Frankenstein here.Sorry Tenaj13 I cannot recollect the Huggets,but it has pushed me to the limit concerning other programmes .As a nipper I can remember listening to Womans Hour ,Listen with mother with mi mum,as well as Mrs Dales Diary with mi grandmother.But then I recall in the 60`s was Much Binding in the Marsh ,then on a Sunday lunch was the Billy Cotton Band Show( Wakey ,wakey)

Much Binding in the Marsh went off the air in 1954. perhaps you're thinking of one of the performers, Kenneth Horne from Beyond Our Ken, Round the Horne, both 1960's, The Billy Cotton Show (with Alan Breeze) came on at 1 o'clock after Family Favourites. Although a lot of the shows that followed F.F. were alternated.

This maybe more early 1970's than the 1960's but I think the radio one schedule was as follows

7am - 9am. Tony Blackburn

9am - 11am. ????

11am - 1 pm. Jimmy Young

1 pm - 3pm. Johnnie walker

3pm - 5pm. DLT

These may not be 100% correct

News from September 1967. Sheffield United sold Mick Jones to Leeds. As a 12 year old I was gutted like 80% of the rest of Sheffield!

C'mon now Blades fans are nowhere close to 80% of the Sheffield population and never have been lol

---------- Post added 11-04-2015 at 16:17 ----------

I always listened to Brian Matthew's Saturday Club on a Saturday morning. And he's still on Radio 2, 55 years later.

Pete Murray is still at it at 89yo.

This maybe more early 1970's than the 1960's but I think the radio one schedule was as follows

7am - 9am. Tony Blackburn

9am - 11am. ????

11am - 1 pm. Jimmy Young

1 pm - 3pm. Johnnie walker

3pm - 5pm. DLT

These may not be 100% correct

News from September 1967. Sheffield United sold Mick Jones to Leeds. As a 12 year old I was gutted like 80% of the rest of Sheffield!

I think Terry Wogan took over the 7-9 time slot after Blackburn thankfully took his hook to commercial radio. As for the 80%, I don't think there is even that percentage of Unitedites on Shoreham Street!

C'mon now Blades fans are nowhere close to 80% of the Sheffield population and never have been lol

---------- Post added 11-04-2015 at 16:17 ----------

Pete Murray is still at it at 89yo.

They are certainly biting tonight.

---------- Post added 11-04-2015 at 22:30 ----------

I think Terry Wogan took over the 7-9 time slot after Blackburn thankfully took his hook to commercial radio. As for the 80%, I don't think there is even that percentage of Unitedites on Shoreham Street!

And another one lands in the net.