Radio in the 1960's

Not all the BBC radio comedy shows were on at Sunday lunchtime. I thought the 'Goons' and 'Hancock's Half Hour' were different days. Two more that were, I think: 'Ray's a Laugh' (with Ted Ray) and "Take It From Here' (with Jimmy Edwards). 'Round the Horne' was years ahead of it's time, what with the double-entendre's-in 1965 I didn't know what that meant or what they were on about either.

What about Educating Archie.a ventriloquist with bloody radio show..lol

---------- Post added 11-04-2015 at 18:07 ----------

They are certainly biting tonight.

---------- Post added 11-04-2015 at 22:30 ----------

And another one lands in the net.

Yes had I been a fish I would have been eaten a long time ago lol.However I have a gut feeling you actually meant what you said., as it might have seemed that way to a12 year old, losing his hero.

---------- Post added 11-04-2015 at 18:13 ----------

Radio One came on in 1967 not Radio Sheffield and the first record was Flowers in the Rain by the Move played by Tony Blackclock who ran grovelling to BBC after Radio Caroline got shut down. I used to be a member of FRA (Free Radio Association)

I thought Blackberry Way was the first radio one tune written by Roy Wood and performed by the Move.

Radio One came on in 1967 not Radio Sheffield and the first record was Flowers in the Rain by the Move played by Tony Blackclock who ran grovelling to BBC after Radio Caroline got shut down. I used to be a member of FRA (Free Radio Association)

I thought Blackberry Way was the first radio one tune ever played. written by Roy Wood and performed by the Move.

Edited by TORONTONY

What about Educating Archie.a ventriloquist with bloody radio show..lol

---------- Post added 11-04-2015 at 18:07 ----------

Yes had I been a fish I would have been eaten a long time ago lol.However I have a gut feeling you actually meant what you said., as it might have seemed that way to a12 year old, losing his hero.

I thought Blackberry Way was the first radio one tune written by Roy Wood and performed by the Move.

I thought Blackberry Way was the first radio one tune ever played. written by Roy Wood and performed by the Move.

Believe me, it was 'Flowers in the Rain'. Carl Wayne lead vocal. Roy Wood was a member of the Move before forming 'Roy Wood's Wizard' and I think he now lives in the Chesterfield area, (right?)

Edited by stpetre
Addition

Believe me, it was 'Flowers in the Rain'. Carl Wayne lead vocal. Roy Wood was a member of the Move before forming 'Roy Wood's Wizard' and I think he now lives in the Chesterfield area, (right?)

Well I will take your word for it. but Blackberry way could not have been far behind it as I recall hearing it on radio one in september1967 just after I got married and maybe it was the first song I heard on there. By the way I believe Roy Wood originally came up with the ELO concept, but left it to Jeff Lynn to carry on with it as he went on with Wizard. Not hard to figure out who came out best on that split.Don't know about Roy, but my brother has lived in and around Chesterfield for the last 44 years lol

Well I will take your word for it. but Blackberry way could not have been far behind it as I recall hearing it on radio one in september1967 just after I got married and maybe it was the first song I heard on there. By the way I believe Roy Wood originally came up with the ELO concept, but left it to Jeff Lynn to carry on with it as he went on with Wizard. Not hard to figure out who came out best on that split.Don't know about Roy, but my brother has lived in and around Chesterfield for the last 44 years lol

Thanks Mr.T, Right about Roy an ELO, one of the best British band ever, don't get the last line, is your brother called Roy Wood?

Thanks Mr.T, Right about Roy an ELO, one of the best British band ever, don't get the last line, is your brother called Roy Wood?

No , he is not called Roy Wood lol, just thought I would mention that I had connections with the bent spire crowd. Name dropping, I suppose.

Edited by TORONTONY

Blackberry Way was released late 1968 and hit number 1 in December of that year (Guinness Book of Records).

Blackberry Way was released late 1968 and hit number 1 in December of that year (Guinness Book of Records).

Geez I am over 1 year out, guess my honeymoon was longer than I thought lol. All I can think of is that I didn't listen to radio one in it's first year and the 1st song I heard was.......naw, it's got to be dementia, that is way too much of a coincidence.

Geez I am over 1 year out, guess my honeymoon was longer than I thought lol. All I can think of is that I didn't listen to radio one in it's first year and the 1st song I heard was.......naw, it's got to be dementia, that is way too much of a coincidence.

You are not demented, a lot of songs from Birmingham groups had the same 'Brummie' twang ie: Move, ELO, Wizard, Fortunes and the Rockin' Berries. The first three involving Roy Wood's refrains. However that city's most successful band the Moody Blues, somehow got around that even in both it's formats with original singer Denny Laine and later Justin Hayward.

You are not demented, a lot of songs from Birmingham groups had the same 'Brummie' twang ie: Move, ELO, Wizard, Fortunes and the Rockin' Berries. The first three involving Roy Wood's refrains. However that city's most successful band the Moody Blues, somehow got around that even in both it's formats with original singer Denny Laine and later Justin Hayward.

Black Sabbath, were they not a Birmingham band too?

I can remember listening to radio Luxembourg as a teenager, but I wonder what was on the radio. I think Radio Sheffield came on in about 1967, but what was on before that. Who were the radio announcers and what were the shows? I'm writing a novel about Sheffield at that time and I just can't remember. Cheershttp://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/images/smilies/help.gif

If you are talking about Radio Luxembourg, their best 'record host' was the dulcet-toned Australian, Barry Alldis ("your're D.J.B.A".) who by co-incidence joined B.B.C. Radio 2 in it's inception in 1967. As for Radio Sheffield while not primary a music station, they managed to have D.J's who were worse than Tony Blackburn!