Zero Hours Contracts - Pleased or Not

Even the PM say he couldn't live on a zero hour contract. Says it all really.

Please explain how are you suppose to budget to pay your rent or mortgage? :huh:

most people cant live on these contracts (unless they have a partner working) and like you say about people paying rent/mortgage. I wonder how many landlords on here would rent to someone solely on a zero hours contract? how many banks would lend to people on a zhc ? this country is supposed to be run by clever people yet cant see the wood for the trees:huh:

Please elaborate. Are you on a ZHC?

No im not, id sooner be unemployed than on one of those. Tell me how you can plan for the week or months bills and expenses on a zero hour contract.

---------- Post added 03-04-2015 at 10:26 ----------

most people cant live on these contracts (unless they have a partner working) and like you say about people paying rent/mortgage. I wonder how many landlords on here would rent to someone solely on a zero hours contract? how many banks would lend to people on a zhc ? this country is supposed to be run by clever people yet cant see the wood for the trees:huh:

Its the clever people who run the country that allow nay encourage these contracts? Most mps have interests in big business and its big business thats makes a killing from these types of contracts.

Guest sibon

Just to inject a factual content to an interesting debate, here are some stats.

I don't see the contracts themselves as a problem, if they are mutually acceptable. The problem comes when unscrupulous employers use them in an abusive manner.

The charts are interesting though.

Just to inject a factual content to an interesting debate, here are some stats.

I don't see the contracts themselves as a problem, if they are mutually acceptable. The problem comes when unscrupulous employers use them in an abusive manner.

The charts are interesting though.

They are always mutually acceptable because no one is forced to take one.

We both know that isn't true.

So which zero hours contract jobs have you been forced to accept against your will?

---------- Post added 03-04-2015 at 10:44 ----------

Or they are so desperate for work they have no choice?

What if the choice is that the job ceases to exist?

I'm pretty sure the alternative to taking a job is that you can remain out of work. It might not be an attractive option but it always exists.

Edited by Bigthumb