Howard Rd, Walkley, accident blackspot

There are now a couple of fairly busy entrances on that bend . The flats in the old school have a lot of vehicle movement and the Buddhist centre seems to hold more events now. I prefer to think of speeds as m/s as I can visualise it. The mid 40s in mph is around 20m/s. That is quite a significant distance traveling round a blind bend over a blind brow even though many cars could handle that speed.
I agree. But if one is driving normally I can't see why this bend is so hazardous. It may be that drivers have cleared congestions at Commonside or South Road and feel that because there are no shops/parking in this area they can whip it up a bit.

I still don't get it, why this is so hazardous

Hi the speed thing is working a treat at the moment , it's like slow motion at the minute , people even stick to their side of the road . I'm going to ring the council tmoz and try to find out who the people are that authorise speed cameras . Something more permanent . People who walk this route know exactly what the problem is , people going way to fast , and I mean out of control fast . Most people who live at walkley have seen an accident or know someone involved in one on this bend , that's how bad it is . Lots of people have been to see me and are really worried that someone will be killed here if nothing is done . I'm still on with it and just trying to find the best approach and best solution . Things are moving on and it will get sorted .

Yes I think that's a ban . Last time it was up facing the wrong way a speed of 72 mph was recorded . Trouble is when it's wet and lose control you end up on the pavement and that's when some poor young student or mother and kids walking to school get splattered .

I agree. But if one is driving normally I can't see why this bend is so hazardous. It may be that drivers have cleared congestions at Commonside or South Road and feel that because there are no shops/parking in this area they can whip it up a bit.

I still don't get it, why this is so hazardous

Given that there were 5 accidents here in one weekend and that the OP who works on this bend has described that it's an ongoing problem I think that you just have to accept the empirical evidence that this band is dangerous!

I just hope that the new camera and sign continues to have an effect.

Surely people doing 50mph really should be picked up and given a good talking to? Do people not see a 30mph speed limit as the norm on city streets any more?

50, 72, these are simply asking to lose control of your car if you're on any sort of a bend, not just this one. How you would handle stopping for a pedestrian, a cyclist or someone emerging from a side roads at those speeds just doesn't bear thinking about.

Yes I think that's a ban . Last time it was up facing the wrong way a speed of 72 mph was recorded . Trouble is when it's wet and lose control you end up on the pavement and that's when some poor young student or mother and kids walking to school get splattered .

Not necessarily, 4-6 points or a ban of 7-28 days, see Page 141 of the sentencing guidelines HERE for a pdf download.

Judged by eyeball?

I doubt that anything but an F1 car could take that corner at 50.

I would assume judged by the MPH number associated with the smiley face speed indicator, just before the brow of the hill which precedes the right hand corner.