Howard Rd, Walkley, accident blackspot

• 1 year later...
A car flipped onto its roof on Howard Road earlier today (on the bit of road outside Wok this Way) - fortunately I don't believe anyone was seriously injured despite how bad the crash looked.

What time did it happen? Have noticed a few Boy Racer types driving at high speeds down South/ Howard Road and Upperthorpe on Sunday afternoons before. Wok This Way seems like a strange place to flip - the road is quite straight there.

What time did it happen? Have noticed a few Boy Racer types driving at high speeds down South/ Howard Road and Upperthorpe on Sunday afternoons before. Wok This Way seems like a strange place to flip - the road is quite straight there.

It was about 17.10pm this afternoon. Not sure what happened as it does seem like an odd place to flip a car yes.

It's surprisingly easy to flip a car when driving badly...

Yes, I speak from (much) younger dafter experience (and I wasn't speeding)

The UK (and in Sheffield in particular) needs far more residential zoning for roads than it has now. 20 MPH max and speed bumps. I am by no means a fan of speed bumps, but having lived through the process in the Netherlands where accidents in urban areas dropped to 35% off the peak where it was in the late 80s I have seen that it works. In fact, now many residential zones are 15 MPH (20 km/h). This, combined with an appropriate design for the main arteries at 50 km/h and segregating cars completely from pedestrians and cyclists on those roads has had a huge positive impact.

The whole of Walkley, Crookes, Hillsborough and Wadsley should be made into 20 MPH. It will have hardly any impact on journey times. Also, a lot of the side roads feeding into 'main arteries' like South Road should be re-planned. Where I live, of Middlewood Road, it is insane that so many side roads feed directly onto a tram-route. Close the access to Middlewood Road off, provide a turning circle instead and have cars come out at certain (limited) junctions like Dixon Road/Middlewood Road.

It is sheer backwardness in planning that this is not part of the Streets Ahead campaign.

Big crash last wk end Howard rd bottom of heavygate , car lost it and wiped railings out , that's why the pavement is closed.

I live just up the hill from there and use the junction regularly; some folks do seem to come round the corner rather enthusiastically.

I also cross Howard road at the Fulton Road junction on on foot, for trips to and from The Blake. Whilst waiting to cross, the smiley speed board is in full view.

I'm not sure what the maximum displayed speed is, but I've seen a number of cars go sufficiently fast that their speed isn't displayed.

They cut off the speed display at a certain level to save them being used as a maximum speed target, though the speed is still recorded.

When it was first fitted, I did see 50+ displayed, but I suspect that it was previously sited in a 40mph limit and not re-set for 30mph.