Howard Rd, Walkley, accident blackspot

WOW - I cycle or drive through this areas pretty much every day and have never witnessed any problems or accidents - I must've been lucky.

It sounds like the road camber, surface and layout needs redesigning from scratch. But knowing SCC it'll be a few signs that'll be ignored. Best of luck Matt Sacco, I hope for all our sake they make some substantive changes.

If it can justify signs warning pedestrians (and I agree, there's not much a pedestrian can do against an out of control car), maybe there should be signs along the lines of "Accident blackspot. Please keep speeds below 10 mph for the next 200 yds, until further notice".

Yes I agree. I guess theres no downside to having the signs for the pedestrians if it's increasing everyone awareness, but it would be better to have something like you've suggested that warns the drivers themselves.

There is now a "slippery road" sign and a lonely looking road cone as you come into the bend. Hope the council can manage something a bit more substantial in the longer term.

They were there last week and was what caught my attention and led me to read the notices that had been put up by the garage. I thought initially they were there due to a pipe burst or something.

They were there last week and was what caught my attention and led me to read the notices that had been put up by the garage. I thought initially they were there due to a pipe burst or something.

It is quite telling that I have driven this route several times in the last week and not noticed them - I just happened to see them whilst walking past today!

There clearly needs to be something there that is going to be clearly visible to motorists.

Just to update you all I have been passed over to amey who have informed me that no testing will be carried out, this happens once a year so is not due here till after May, I don't think anything is going to be done about this situation, so please take care on this bend and if it is raining/wet conditions don't walk along this stretch of road.

Speak to your local cop or PCSO and express your concerns. They should be able to find out how many accidents have been and maybe apply pressure to the council. Also they might be able to arrange for some speed enforcement in the area.

I have done all that, they have promised to come and stand on the bend with a speed gun this has never happened because they apparently have no money or man power. Been in touch with brake today they only do big campaigns but said they would ring Sheffield council and express their concerns and if I could get enough people together they would allow us to use their mascot.

Just to update you all I have been passed over to amey who have informed me that no testing will be carried out, this happens once a year so is not due here till after May, I don't think anything is going to be done about this situation, so please take care on this bend and if it is raining/wet conditions don't walk along this stretch of road.

Might be worth keeping proof of the fact that you've informed the council/Amey that this is a dangerous situation which you consider could well end in a pedestrian being killed.

Then, at least if someone is badly hurt/killed, you'll be able to pass that proof onto their lawyers.

Ok got some really positive news today from amey , they have agreed to resurface the road on the corner with a hi grip surface ,and fit a Sid smiley face in the correct place and facing the correct way . I will be watching this like a hawk and trying make sure it is done right . This should be getting done in the next three months . So watch this space . I just hope this will be enough , it's definitely a step in the right direction .

Edited by Matt Sacco
Spelling