Howard Rd, Walkley, accident blackspot

Given that there were 5 accidents here in one weekend and that the OP who works on this bend has described that it's an ongoing problem I think that you just have to accept the empirical evidence that this band is dangerous!

Oh, I do accept it, like you say the evidence is there. I just don't understand it.

Well, maybe I do, if these are typical ...

just seen my first 50mph 8pm this evening

Last time it was up facing the wrong way a speed of 72 mph was recorded

But if one is doing 30-35, even 40 at a push, a car should get round comfortably.

Madness!

The point I and the people who have to walk this route are trying to make is that it is the majority and not the minority that speed through this part of walkley and that's one of the main reasons there are so many vehicles lose control and crash . You don't need to be doing much more than 30 mph to lose control in the wet on this bend , believe me I'm sick of seeing it .

Police have to recommend a proper speed camera and they need to have a few deaths there first .

I've found the thing now. It's not actually on the corner, so I can see how someone could approach at 50, slow down as they went up the rise and then take the corner at 30.

If the accidents aren't causing serious injuries or fatalities, why would you wish that they did so?

Safety cameras are supposed to be placed in accident blackspots where injuries occur, it seems rather perverse to wish people to be injured in order to justify the camera.

I don't think he's wishing for an accident with injuries or fatalities - he's saying that without them, further safety measures won't happen. They would be the catalysts for expenditure

My wife was involved in one of the prangs there not too long ago she was coming from town round this corner and a woman somehow managed to come round the corner - over the man hole cover (which could contribute to spinning) and spin her car into the inside of the corner and crash into my wifes car just by the entrance to the Budhist centre. When I took photos I couldn't comprehend how that was even possible.

Do people not get taught to shift down for a sharp corner and break before the corner rather than steaming in at 40 and braking on the way round.

Personally think the introduction of 20s on roads like springvale are a very good thing. Most ppl still drive close to 30, but at least its now 30 rather than 40.

Speeding in built up areas shouldn't be tolerated as the consequences to pedestrians etc are potentially fatal. Doing 90 on the motorway is also not a particularly wise thing to do but at least its alot safer on the motorways (only 1 direction of traffic) .... only 5% of serious accidents happen on the motorway.

Your wife was lucky . About 15 years ago an Audi hit a citreon head on in exactly that spot . It tuck fire service and ambulance

All morning , about three hours to cut her out . Unfortunately when they got her to hospital they couldn't save her legs.

---------- Post added 07-05-2015 at 15:24 ----------

I often come to work and find broken glass headlights bumpers wreckage . And no damage to the walls which I check daily . So I assume people are hitting each other regular. When I ring 101 to find out if they have been reported they never have . The accident rate here is through the roof . But not on paper , even if police have attended , when I have checked to see if there is an incident number it's often been the wrong address eg south road , this throws the hole thing to **** .

Your wife was lucky . About 15 years ago an Audi hit a citreon head on in exactly that spot . It tuck fire service and ambulance

All morning , about three hours to cut her out . Unfortunately when they got her to hospital they couldn't save her legs.

---------- Post added 07-05-2015 at 15:24 ----------

I often come to work and find broken glass headlights bumpers wreckage . And no damage to the walls which I check daily . So I assume people are hitting each other regular. When I ring 101 to find out if they have been reported they never have . The accident rate here is through the roof . But not on paper , even if police have attended , when I have checked to see if there is an incident number it's often been the wrong address eg south road , this throws the hole thing to **** .

I would hazard a guess that even if police attend most accidents will be finalised as details exchanged so no paperwork will be submitted. Obviously if people are injured then this won't be the case.

• 4 weeks later...

Another accident this morning. This time a collision between a car pulling out of Heavygate Lane and a car travelling up the hill from Commonside. Air bags deployed but no noticable injuries.