FAO Voters - Why do you vote?

Care to explain that?

Voting has never been compulsory and can't think offhand of anyone dying for the "cause" of not voting :cool:

Who are these martyrs?

In Australia for example voting is compulsory.

Many suffragettes went to extreme lenghts for the right of women to vote, Emily Davison died by throwing herself in front of the kngs horse on Derby Day in 1913.

Many suffragettes went to extreme lenghts for the right of women to vote, Emily Davison died by throwing herself in front of the kngs horse on Derby Day in 1913.

So who in Australia has died for the right not to vote? You have to turn up at the voting station but don't have to actually vote for anyone..you can just mark your paper...

Exactly what differences do you think it would have made if the party you voted for was elected?

Do you not think abstaining, not registering to vote is as powerful, if not more a democratic statement as any vote could be?

Actually yes, abstaining can be powerful. Unfortunately, if you don't even bother to cast a spoiled paper (which is counted) then you have done nothing and for all anyone knows, you are happy with things the way they are.

Actually yes, abstaining can be powerful. Unfortunately, if you don't even bother to cast a spoiled paper (which is counted) then you have done nothing and for all anyone knows, you are happy with things the way they are.

According to electoral commission spoiled papers are counted as 'rejected votes' and therefore not counted.

Government is not our solution, they are the problem. Voting only encourages them.

Stop playing their rigged game. If enough people opt out of the system then the system will have to change. We cannot change the system by adhering to it. The quicker we dismantle their system, the quicker we can a build a new one, which serves us the people, and not them.

Remember - Politicians needs us, We do not need them.

---------- Post added 07-05-2015 at 19:54 ----------

So who in Australia has died for the right not to vote? You have to turn up at the voting station but don't have to actually vote for anyone..you can just mark your paper...

I don't know, why did you ask?

And yes you're right, you have to turn-up to polling station but could spoilt ballot paper, or leave it blank. Which just makes a mockery of compulsory voting, as voting for the sake of it is just the same as not voting at all.

Good evasion - now simply tell us who died for the right not to vote like you claimed in post #9 :cool:

According to electoral commission spoiled papers are counted as 'rejected votes' and therefore not counted.

Government is not our solution, they are the problem. Voting only encourages them.

Stop playing their rigged game. If enough people opt out of the system then the system will have to change. We cannot change the system by adhering to it. The quicker we dismantle their system, the quicker we can a build a new one, which serves us the people, and not them.

Remember - Politicians needs us, We do not need them.

---------- Post added 07-05-2015 at 19:54 ----------

I don't know, why did you ask?

And yes you're right, you have to turn-up to polling station but could spoilt ballot paper, or leave it blank. Which just makes a mockery of compulsory voting, as voting for the sake of it is just the same as not voting at all.

Because you claimed people had died for the right not to vote. Which is clearly just some tosh you made up.

Because you claimed people had died for the right not to vote. Which is clearly just some tosh you made up.

Taking a wild guess here, but maybe he meant that people died for freedom, which would include the right to vote or not to vote, however they see fit,

Could be wrong but it makes sense to me. :)

What do you think?

Taking a wild guess here, but maybe he meant that people died for freedom, which would include the right to vote or not to vote, however they see fit,

What do you think?

The only sense I can make of it is "died to defend a dictatorship".

Given the OP's belief's

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1385093

I'd rule out him thinking a great deal - although he may return with some very twisted semantics.

Edited by Longcol

What do you think?

That is correct, in any so called 'democracy' you should always have the right to abstain.

---------- Post added 08-05-2015 at 03:45 ----------

The only sense I can make of it is "died to defend a dictatorship".

Given the OP's belief's

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=1385093

I'd rule out him thinking a great deal - although he may return with some very twisted semantics.

Passive insults already, this is not a good tactic for void arguments, it only embarrasses yourself further.

Edited by gwhite78

What has your vote actually achieved? In which ways has your vote ever made a difference, or think it will? Why do you voters keep voting and expect different results? How exactly has your vote ever made a difference in how this country is run?

It decides which MP will represent your area in parliament. They have different principles and opinions about things and will vote differently on issues that parliament decides on.

It's not difficult to understand is it.