Visa debit cards in France.

Assuming you mean a VISA Creditcard? VISA Debit (Which is what you get from most banks I believe) work without issue where I have got petrol overseas, I usually use Creditcards as back-up but only used that in Belgium and it worked there. So I would be very surprised if you couldn't use VISA Credit. Generally it is AmEx that isn't accepted. To be sure always take a 'back-up' means to pay.

PS Sorry it is early and half read your question, if it is Debit it won't be an issue.

You should be ok with your Visa Debit card just ring your bank before you depart to France to be sure!.They are a funny lot over there back in the 70s driving back from Spain in my car I was out of Francs but had £300 in Thomas Cooke travellers cheques,garage after garage refused me petrol even after producing my passport,I was rescued by a lady who owned an enormous stately home type hotel!.There was a tie and tails posh dinner starting I turned up dishevelled and sweaty in the entrance,she helped me at once changing my cheques for francs,it was in the middle of nowhere she was my guardian angel that night for sure!.

It all depends on your card, have a look at the table on Moneysavingexpert.com which compares Credit and Debit Card charges. Basically you will be ripped off by most of the UK Banks unless you have one of the Credit Cards with no conversion charge. I've got a Nationwide Credit Card which I use in France and the conversion rate is the Visa spot rate. If I used my Lloyds Debit card (which I never ever do)it would cost between c£2-50 to £4-50 per transaction in addition to the cost of the diesel.If you are going in June you've got time to sort out a best value Credit Card

As Moss said, they charge per transaction, as well as a percentage, so you are best to fill it all the way up as with most banks the charge is capped at 4.50 I think. Lloyds used to just charge a quid, I was pretty annoyed when I discovered they stopped this. Speak to your bank to find out their charges.