Where can I get Scottish notes from

Which brings into question, how would you spot a £100 jock note forgery? Retailers are reluctant to accept English £50 notes, let alone a £100 scottish note?

I wouldn't accept a scottish fiver in change let alone £100.

I won't have a Scottish note, they're too hard to get rid of. They're not 'legal tender', by definition and that's the end of it. Can't argue with the Bank of England.

Therefore nobody has to accept non legal tender as settlement of debt, if you try and pay a restaurant bill with Scottish notes and you only offer Scottish notes, since they're not legal tender (As proven by the Bank of England), the restaurant can refuse and you could be a criminal for not paying your bill.

they accepted a Scottish tenner I had at Bangkok Suvarnbhumi Airport. It was with a pile of others. The guy took the banknote out and had a short 3-second conference in Thai with his colleague before putting it back in the wedge. Here in England I am regularly presented with Scottish tenners. When I get them I usually aim to spend them as quickly as possible and I do with no problems. Much less frequently, Jersey and Northern Irish banknotes sometimes turn up too those I will retain and take to the bank as I'm supposing that less people will want to accept those. English £50s I will not accept unless they have ID.

You realise it's an urban myth that Scottish notes are "legal tender" in England?

In some or many cases they are accepted but nobody is obliged to accept them.

Are you sure???

I got told you HAVE to accept Scottish notes and Irish but only if the say Sterling on them (don't know why that's just what I got told)

I do know that the old £20 English notes are not legal tender anymore.

I am after getting a £100 Scottish note. Is it as simple as going to RBS and asking for one?

I need to settle a bet and begrudgingly I will settle in the most annoying way I can.

I cant believe some of the *** head replies your getting to a simple question. A bank may have some (not just RBS) or the local post office or even your nearest supermarket may be worth a try. I say this because ive had Scottish notes from all those places in the last few months.

Edited by Timeh
edited out a swear.

I was just letting you know that he doesn't have to accept it and you might be making a couple of wasted journeys to the bank.

As for where to get one, there's plenty of places you could probably acquire the smaller denominations but for an actual £100 note, you're most likely going to have to go to RBS.

Equally I don;t think there's any way he can be forced to settle a wager since it depends on the honour between the parties. I like the idea of annoying currency for this though.

To the OP - you will be able to order from RBS or Halifax (part of HBOS) as I've ordered a full set of notes from them before to show the scouts. You may have to wait a couple of days.

RBS also issue still £1 notes, so if you wanted to really annoy him you could make it a hundred transactions he gets pulled on rather than one big one :-)

---------- Post added 07-04-2015 at 11:29 ----------

Are you sure???

I got told you HAVE to accept Scottish notes and Irish but only if the say Sterling on them (don't know why that's just what I got told)

I do know that the old £20 English notes are not legal tender anymore.

Legal tender only really counts when you are paying a court for settlement of a debt.

Beyond that it's entirely up to what the parties to a contract agree - what is legally called a "meeting of minds". IF there is no specific statement then what is commonly acceptable to the man on the Clapham omnibus is what you would expect.

---------- Post added 07-04-2015 at 11:31 ----------

I won't have a Scottish note, they're too hard to get rid of. They're not 'legal tender', by definition and that's the end of it. Can't argue with the Bank of England.

Therefore nobody has to accept non legal tender as settlement of debt, if you try and pay a restaurant bill with Scottish notes and you only offer Scottish notes, since they're not legal tender (As proven by the Bank of England), the restaurant can refuse and you could be a criminal for not paying your bill.

A credit card isn't legal tender either, but if a resteraunt refuses it when they have the card scheme in the window does that make me a criminal?

in one sense the notion of 'legal tender' is a red herring because money itself, only exists because of the notion of 'general acceptibility'. If people didn't agree to use it, then it doesn't matter what the Bank of England, Bank of America etc says.