Walter Scott shooting

Because contrary to what the song might say, even ONE bad apple spoils the whole bunch.

No it doesn't. If you cant see that a few million more cops in this country do a good job then that's a chronic case of myopia

You do seem to be trying to close down debate with your rather OTT flouncing.

I didn't read this as an anti-American thread, rather as an anti American cop shooting people running away thread.

Unfortunately for you, this case has opened up quite a few more questions about the US police and their ability to blow away black citizens. It looks as though you (and they) are in for a bit of a bumpy ride.

You're not with the plot. My whole gripe is that whenever it comes to the subject of America it's always negative. Why is that?

Edited by Harleyman

Guest sibon
You're not with the plot. My whole gripe is that whenever it comes to the subject of America it's always negative. Why is that?

I'm absolutely with the plot. This thread is about a US cop shooting a 50 year old black man who was running away, then attempting to falsify evidence.

Why would you choose a thread like this to try to accentuate the positive about the US?

I'm absolutely with the plot. This thread is about a US cop shooting a 50 year old black man who was running away, then attempting to falsify evidence.

Why would you choose a thread like this to try to accentuate the positive about the US?

Well we've all seen the video, been outraged by it, hope the asshole who did it gets his just desserts, which he most definitely will, so what's the point in banging on about it except unfortunately that it will go on and eventually morph into another tirade about what a nation of gun happy morons Americans are, totally gone off thread and totally bonkers as usual. Not really my concern anyway but just a thought

---------- Post added 08-04-2015 at 22:03 ----------

I can tell you that yes, the murders by Al Shabab, and the abductions of the girls in Nigeria by Boko Haram have indeed had threads started about them, and if they are no longer on the forum then that is because of the ferocity of the opinions voiced therein.

I'd suggest you get a bit of perspective- yes, this is being discussed, but then so are a lot of other things.

Well lets hope that some of the opinions don't get "ferocious" in this case :D

Edited by Harleyman

Guest sibon
Well we've all seen the video, been outraged by it, hope the asshole who did it gets his just desserts, which he most definitely will, so what's the point in banging on about it except unfortunately that it will go on and eventually morph into another tirade about what a nation of gun happy morons Americans are, totally gone off thread and totally bonkers as usual. Not really my concern anyway but just a thought[

The point is that the US police have a habit of shooting black men, in disproportion to the population.

How many others were like this one? How does the killing of Michael Brown sit now?

Incidentally, US cops kill so many people that Wiki is finding it hard to keep pace. Take a look at the gory horror.. Nobody can be proud of that sort of "law enforcement".

Well we've all seen the video, been outraged by it, hope the asshole who did it gets his just desserts, which he most definitely will, so what's the point in banging on about it except unfortunately that it will go on and eventually morph into another tirade about what a nation of gun happy morons Americans are, totally gone off thread and totally bonkers as usual. Not really my concern anyway but just a thought

nice way to trivialise someones life there.

seriously harleyman have a word with yourself.

We're talking about something fairly specific, your generalising to include all america as a way to gloss over the facts.

nice way to trivialise someones life there.

seriously harleyman have a word with yourself.

We're talking about something fairly specific, your generalising to include all america as a way to gloss over the facts.

In what way did I trivialize Mr Scott's life? I've already stated twice that I hope the cop gets the worst sentence possible.... death

Some have already stated that they wouldn't agree with that verdict but instead life in prison with meals. medical treatment and a nice warm bunk in a nice warm cell. That's trivializing

---------- Post added 08-04-2015 at 22:52 ----------

The point is that the US police have a habit of shooting black men, in disproportion to the population.

How many others were like this one? How does the killing of Michael Brown sit now?

Incidentally, US cops kill so many people that Wiki is finding it hard to keep pace. Take a look at the gory horror.. Nobody can be proud of that sort of "law enforcement".

That merits the question then. Are black men more prone to do things that get them shot than white men do?

I wouldn't know. How about you?

Guest sibon

That merits the question then. Are black men more prone to do things that get them shot than white men do?

I wouldn't know. How about you?

It begs a couple of bigger questions: Do the US police think that they are above the law? Are they institutionally racist?

To answer your mealy mouthed question, based on current video evidence, I'd say not.

The US police's attitude to killing black men is spawning all sorts of anthropological studies at the moment. So, I guess we will have to wait for confirmation. That confirmation will come. The racism that is endemic in the US police is of interest to the academic community in the UK.

Meanwhile, the US will have to cope with racial tension and unrest. I'm glad I live here.

It begs a couple of bigger questions: Do the US police think that they are above the law? Are they institutionally racist?

To answer your mealy mouthed question, based on current video evidence, I'd say not.

The US police's attitude to killing black men is spawning all sorts of anthropological studies at the moment. So, I guess we will have to wait for confirmation. That confirmation will come. The racism that is endemic in the US police is of interest to the academic community in the UK.

Meanwhile, the US will have to cope with racial tension and unrest. I'm glad I live here.

Since you decided to go the rude course let me reply in kind. What makes you so arrogant to suggest that there may be an across the board institutionalized racist mentality among the police forces of America?

Do you make a habit of generalizing? Jumping to dumb conclusions that because a few police in small rural towns have been involved in shootings of black men that therefore this must be some new phenomenon that is spreading rapidly from New York to Los Angeles.... catching

"Alright men. Listen up. One of us has to shoot a black man during his watch today. Whose going to volunteer"?

I would say that the racial tensions that exist between British Muslims and British non Muslims is probably of interest to the academic community in the US also as an example that in the 21st century in the world of the internet and global travel on a mass scale that foreign immigrants could be looked upon as some kind of threat to the status quo

Your childish, immature outburst that "I'm glad I live here" only comes across as faintly amusing.. but at least I did smile just a little :D

Edited by Harleyman