Goldthorpe - what a dump

Just tell them it isn't 1985 any more. But that would mean their bad news mission of keeping Margret Thatcher and the Evil Tories (not a bad name for a group, that) as their lead story might have to go, so they won't.

They could always replace it with The Evil Tory Cuts Killed My Hamster, though.

You really do think it's that easy don't you?

What has been done to help them? Where is the investment, the infrastructure?

An area needs money to get back on its feet. The people cannot do it all by themselves when they have nothing to start with.

Goldthorpe couldn't be better placed for work.

The Station is walking distance for any resident, Trains are regular.

The line links the village to both Leeds and Sheffield with direct trains.

Rotherham is 15 minutes on the train as well.

Barnsley is close enough to get to by bus.

Doncaster is 20-30 minutes away by bus or train.

How people there claim there is 'no work' is just beyond me.

You've got two large cities in easy reach, and several decent sized towns.

People there have access to most of the jobs going in South Yorkshire, there's no reason for them to not be able to find work.

Edited by geared

They might well be feeling sorry for themselves. They have every right to. It's one of the most deprived areas in Europe. No wonder they're angry.

What has been done to help them? Where is the investment, the infrastructure?

An area needs money to get back on its feet. The people cannot do it all by themselves when they have nothing to start with.

The sad thing is, there are more and more areas like this, that have been all but abandoned by the government, because they don't know what to do with them.

I'd be angry too - thirteen years of Labour, the working mans party, in Government and sod all changed in Goldthorpe.

It doesn't really do to inflict critical remarks concerning where people and children live on a medium such as this. Comments should be directed to the people who have the powers to change with improvements, small changes even on a budget can make a tremendous difference for local residents. Fair game if a resident has an issue and feels the need to share criticism online. As and I speak from experience nobody knows an area well enough to comment until one has lived in the area. It is known that children view the comments and responses on Sheffield Forum and the running down of areas that they maybe living and growing up in is detrimental to their forming opinions and views. Many comments similar to this post concerning areas that have become NO GO AREAS... I have found to be highly exaggerated and not trustworthy views.

Edited by VIEW2BUY

It doesn't really do to inflict critical remarks concerning where people and children live on a medium such as this. Comments should be directed to the people who have the powers to change with improvements, small changes even on a budget can make a tremendous difference for local residents. Fair game if a resident has an issue and feels the need to share criticism online. As and I speak from experience nobody knows an area well enough to comment until one has lived in the area. It is known that children view the comments and responses on Sheffield Forum and the running down of areas that they maybe living and growing up in is detrimental to their forming opinions and views. Many comments similar to this post concerning areas that have become NO GO AREAS... I have found to be highly exaggerated and not trustworthy views.

God what a load of utter tripe.

You think the residents of Goldthorpe are going to read SF, and it's going to negatively effect their children :loopy::loopy::loopy::loopy:

Get a grip.

You really do think it's that easy don't you?

No, it's not that easy at all. There was no reason for Goldthorpe to exist apart from the pit. So why not relocate everybody nearer work and flatten it?

One thing that isn't going to help is the BBC encouraging victimhood and holding on to 30 year old grievances.

No, it's not that easy at all. There was no reason for Goldthorpe to exist apart from the pit. So why not relocate everybody nearer work and flatten it?

One thing that isn't going to help is the BBC encouraging victimhood and holding on to 30 year old grievances.

..................because there are enough doing that on the forum anyway!