Goldthorpe - what a dump

Pretty much, yes. A village built around a coal mine. Nothing there now thanks to her.

Killamarsh doesn't have coal mines anymore, Kiveton doesn't have a coal mine, and they aren't as bad as goldthorpe or thurnscoe by a mile. Even bolsover and surrounding villages are making a move into the 21st century. I don't think goldthorpe wants to.

Pretty much, yes. A village built around a coal mine. Nothing there now thanks to her.

I always thought the pit closed because it was not economical to mine the coal. The railways moved from using coal decades ago. Household heating moved from coal decades ago. The steel works stopped using coal decades ago, and the power generators are moving away from coal due to polution.

The coal that the country needs can be imported far cheaper without the problems of strikes, mining subsidence or polution from the mines getting into the water supplies.

But getting away from the economics. The pit closed decades ago. The same happened to pits in NE Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire. There are dozens of ex mining towns and villages that are now rather nice places to live. The folk have moved forward. Killamarsh, Thorpe Salvin, Woodsetts, Shireoaks, Warsop. They are rather nice places where folks are living in the 21st century.

Dare I ask if you know this from your in depth first hand experience of everyone in Goldthorpe?

because when you go there you are struck with the unfortunate reality it's rammed full of lazy feckless idiots.

I'm sure it's full of 'community spirit' and 'genuine people' but lets be honest, if it was populated by honest hard working folk it wouldn't be such an utter toilet.

If the mine was still open, with today's benefit system (compared to the early 1980s) Goldthorpe would still be a village of claimants as all the miners would have retired and the younger generations would have thrown their hands in the air and declared themselves too good to work in a mine. Meanwhile the mine would be full of East Europeans.

/satire

Killamarsh doesn't have coal mines anymore, Kiveton doesn't have a coal mine, and they aren't as bad as goldthorpe or thurnscoe by a mile. Even bolsover and surrounding villages are making a move into the 21st century. I don't think goldthorpe wants to.

Agreed. Even to this day if you speak to 15/16 year olds (and yes I have) in Goldthorpe & Thurnscoe they will tell you that there aren't any jobs because the pits are shut. It's an attitude that's been passed down through the generations.

Edited by SiSiSi

Or to re-open mines. Or invest in what was left of the mining industry. Or open lots more coal fired power stations.

None of which they did. So - all Thatcher's fault?

Exactly - it's easy to blame Thatcher when Labour, the supposed saviour of the working man, ignored the area when they were in power.