Goldthorpe - what a dump

Whatever the reason for why Thurnscoe & Goldthorpe is the way described on this thread, there is a price to pay by the residents that remain there. That price, has to be quite a low standard of living and a level of poverty (and ultimately depression).

What Geared explains about the rail network, and the ease of getting to other towns is correct information. However, I have no idea how easy or difficult jobs are to get these days.

If it is true that all the other pit villages have got back on their feet now, I am left wondering why they all haven’t. Surely there was a point when the other pit villages blamed Thatcher. It’s a bit of a strange situation really. Is there a bit more to it?

Agreed. Even to this day if you speak to 15/16 year olds (and yes I have) in Goldthorpe & Thurnscoe they will tell you that there aren't any jobs because the pits are shut. It's an attitude that's been passed down through the generations.

Magic made me laugh...So True!!

Or to re-open mines. Or invest in what was left of the mining industry. Or open lots more coal fired power stations.

None of which they did. So - all Thatcher's fault?

If the locals want to invest in the local mines I'm sure the option exists. I'm mot sure that I want my money investing in an outdated industry. Every subsidy is merely a tax on everyone else.

I have sympathy for the old mining towns. Really are stuck in a psychological rut.

The onus on getting the next generation going has to be on schools because the adults that grew up there are broken.

I agree. It's within my lifetime that the people of the mining areas like Goldthorpe who were once regarded as the 'salt of the earth', are now scorned as the 'scum of the earth'. That must sting.

---------- Post added 11-04-2015 at 17:42 ----------

because when you go there you are struck with the unfortunate reality it's rammed full of lazy feckless idiots.

I'm sure it's full of 'community spirit' and 'genuine people' but lets be honest, if it was populated by honest hard working folk it wouldn't be such an utter toilet.

Full of 'genuine people' with 'community spirit', but 'it's rammed full of lazy feckless idiots'. :rolleyes:

I agree. It's within my lifetime that the people of the mining areas like Goldthorpe who were once regarded as the 'salt of the earth', are now scorned as the 'scum of the earth'. That must sting.

---------- Post added 11-04-2015 at 17:42 ----------

Full of 'genuine people' with 'community spirit', but 'it's rammed full of lazy feckless idiots'. :rolleyes:

They are underclass. A lot of former pit villages are working class. I drive through my estate and look down the streets and its a bit of an odd example and its vans - plumbers, councils, builders couriers etc etc etc - you won't see that in goldthorpe.

Thurnscoe is full comminty spirit of a fashion - I noticed an old church that had been converted into a community/drop in centre had been seriously vandalised - it can't be just one person that did it all. That's a community working together!

Exactly - it's easy to blame Thatcher when Labour, the supposed saviour of the working man, ignored the area when they were in power.

Labour actually closed more pits then the Tories over time

---------- Post added 11-04-2015 at 20:49 ----------

I have sympathy for the old mining towns. Really are stuck in a psychological rut.

The onus on getting the next generation going has to be on schools because the adults that grew up there are broken.

Yup if effects a lot of ex mining towns, a lot obscene changed. Quite a lot in south Wales have not though

That's so BEAUTIFULLY put. I wholeheartedly agree.

Wow, just like in Page Hall!

EDIT: Oh, you meant Porsches ?

Well, we have all sorts of cars parked on the double yellow lines on this side of town. Even the Roma gypsies are going upmarket, driving newish Skodas (which are actually the last generation Audi bin wagons with a cheap-ass badge)

No.

I meant 'porches'. Bay windows, bloc paving too.