Goldthorpe - what a dump

Many stations were converted for oil before the strike on the orders of Thatcher, it was part of the preparation for the inevitable show-down.

This was done because previous strikes had crippled the entire country, the lack of coal had shut down many power plants and caused nationwide blackouts.

It was one of the reasons the Heath government fell in the 1970's.

With the stations able to run on oil as well this did not occur during the strike of the 80's, it kept disruption to a minimum.

I'm struggling to find a word of truth in your post. There were only ever around 10 oil fired power stations in the UK. Most of these started on coal and converted to oil when oil was cheap in the 1960s. The Thatcher governments never built a single oil fired power station but closed down rather a lot. Is there anything else I missed.

It doesn't really do to inflict critical remarks concerning where people and children live on a medium such as this. Comments should be directed to the people who have the powers to change with improvements, small changes even on a budget can make a tremendous difference for local residents.
individuals have the power to change, don't sit back and wait for governments' assistance.

Change could mean simply looking for work beyond the dearne valley boundary

I'm struggling to find a word of truth in your post. There were only ever around 10 oil fired power stations in the UK. Most of these started on coal and converted to oil when oil was cheap in the 1960s. The Thatcher governments never built a single oil fired power station but closed down rather a lot. Is there anything else I missed.

Sorry if I was mistaken

the Thatcher government had prepared against a repeat of the effective 1974 industrial action by stockpiling coal, converting some power stations to burn heavy fuel oil

Sorry if I was mistaken

That's OK. The oil burning power stations that existed in 1984 had been converted in the 1960s to burn dual fuel. So no doubt to conserve coal they were allowed to burn oil, but certainly by then oil wasn't a cheap option. By the end of the 1980s I think most had closed down. Thatcher beat the miners strike because we had millions of tons of coal in power station yards. The Nottinghamshire miners didn't support the strike and upped their output. There were powerstations that burned oil or made power from nuclear energy and we had sources of imported coal anyhow.

If you want to know what caused the decline in places like Goldthorpe you need to look back further than Thatcher. It was in the 1960s when household heating turned away from coal to electricity and gas. Also in the 1960s when British Railways stopped buying around 30,000,000 tons of coal per year and started replacing steam with diesel engines.

Edited by evil woman

There is little truth in what geared says, the reason the lights did not go out during the strike was due to the fact that coal stocks were huge at the start and Nottingham and Derbyshire collieries continued to produce.

Had Nacods supported the strike and brought out Notts/Derbyshire in October 1984 there would have been a negotiated settlement. Nacods did not, fearing that a victory for Scargill would have placed the country in jeopardy and brought down Thatcher.

When discussing Thacher and her relationship with the unions, always remember more trade unionists voted for her than they ever did for Callaghan, Foot and Kinnock.

Which station was that?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richborough_Power_Station

There is also a video on the net of the towers and chimney coming down in 2012.

An emotional moment as these were landmark.Whenever you came back from an out of area trip and saw these imposing structures you knew you were nearly home.

Now... nothing.

Edited by davyboy

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Richborough_Power_Station

There is also a video on the net of the towers and chimney coming down in 2012.

An emotional moment as these were landmark.Whenever you came back from an out of area trip and saw these imposing structures you knew you were nearly home.

Now... nothing.

Ah.. we were talking at cross-purposes..I thought you meant local to Goldthorpe,not local to you... :)

Why does everyone get all emotional when old cooling towers are brought down??

It was the same when they flattened the ones at Tinsley.

They're orrible looking things, there's no need to keep them up if the power plant is gone.

Why does everyone get all emotional when old cooling towers are brought down??

It was the same when they flattened the ones at Tinsley.

They're orrible looking things, there's no need to keep them up if the power plant is gone.

My sentiments exactly when they flatten Buckingham Palace.