Trolley Buses Instead Of Trams Idea?

Been reading with interest about the Supertram extensions proposals and the costs involved in implementing the idea. Would a Trolley bus system be a more viable idea, no tracks required so less disruption in the construction phase only needs tranction poles putting up and the overhead wires ? Trolley buses are more moveable than trams so cars can go round them unlike trams untill the tram moves on some roads the traffic comes to a halt. Maintenance costs would be lower and the system is easy to expand. I know Leeds is toying with the idea , in the past quite a few towns and cities had them another plus point theirs no fumes and environmentally friendly.

I don't see the point of trolleybuses. Combines the worst of both worlds - the lower quality and slower experience of a bus with the expensive and inflexible infrastructure of a tramway!

Trolleybuses belong in a museum - we already have diesel-electric hybrid buses in service in Sheffield and the technology of battery powered electric buses is close to being feasible.

As I've said before, I'm a believer tramways are at their best when they run on off road on reserved track, offering a fast, reliable, comfortable and user friendly service that beats traffic congestion and can attract people out of their cars.

Edited by Andy C

I remember the Trolley-Buses of old and think it should be a mix of both. Its cheaper than having hybrids or electric buses and also more efficient as there is no big main heavy batteries to have or recharge.

If the overhead power lines were extended then the whole operation could be powered by having another electric generator at the incinerator, thus making the whole lot greener and cheaper.

@Andy C

You dont need the expensive infrastructure of a tramway as Trolley-buses don't run on rails.

Trolleybuses belong in a museum - we already have diesel-electric hybrid buses in service in Sheffield and the technology of battery powered electric buses is close to being feasible.

This is rub, within the next 10 years we won't need overhead electric wires for fully electric buses. Why then bother with trolley buses at all?

Stagecoach Sheffield does have electric buses yes but they need to be recharged often during the day ,also the company has tired using gas to run its buses again this hasn't proved practical. The only way to ensure constant electrical supply without the need to keep recharging is for overhead wires as a previous poster has suggested we could burn rubbish to generate electricity to power the Trolley bus system. All types of transport have their faults but one day the oil will be gone its better to start planning now on how we are going to use to power our public transport systems in the future

Stagecoach Sheffield does have electric buses yes but they need to be recharged often during the day ,also the company has tired using gas to run its buses again this hasn't proved practical. The only way to ensure constant electrical supply without the need to keep recharging is for overhead wires as a previous poster has suggested we could burn rubbish to generate electricity to power the Trolley bus system. All types of transport have their faults but one day the oil will be gone its better to start planning now on how we are going to use to power our public transport systems in the future

Yet Arriva have had no problem running buses on gas in Darlington without any practical problems.

I used to ride in electrical trolley busses in Toronto in the eighties. They were great there due to intense exhaustsmog at rush-hour there

toronto trolley bus with two doors

They would not work in Sheffield because they cannot pass each other and Sheffield busses are overloaded incapable of riding on time.

What Sheffield needs is people who sell tickets in advance at busy busstops. It can take upto a minute per person for a driver to sort the fares.

Dutch buses have a door in the middle where passengers can get in as well and then swipe a oyster like card to pay. That increases capacity, Sheffield is not intelligent enough to have buses with two entrance doors on busy routes and rather takes twice as long to get everyone on..

---------- Post added 10-04-2015 at 15:19 ----------

This is what Sheffield needs

Sometimes it takes ten minutes for all passengers to get on a bus.

It takes my friend ten minutes to drive home while I am still waiting for everyone to get on.

Edited by dutch

Stagecoach Sheffield does have electric buses yes but they need to be recharged often during the day

I think you're underestimating the progress being made in this field. Tesla are making cars now which can add 200 miles worth of charge in 30 minutes.