Electronic information at tram/bus stops

Guest makapaka
guess we will all have to go out and buy a smartphone and join the wonderful world of twitter :gag: . I would rather just stand in the cold and wait and hope that whoever commissioned this waste of money lost their jobs

I understand the signs should work don't get me wrong. But I get frustrated about people's unwillingness to help themselves sometimes that's all.

I understand the signs should work don't get me wrong. But I get frustrated about people's unwillingness to help themselves sometimes that's all.

Its not about unwillingness to help themselves but cost and necessity for most. I for one will not use a mobile and cant see why I should pay an extortionate fee so to do so. Just because others do is not an excuse as most are conned into thinking it benefits them and that they cant live without one. If I want to phone then the land-line is my choice.

Guest makapaka
Its not about unwillingness to help themselves but cost and necessity for most. I for one will not use a mobile and cant see why I should pay an extortionate fee so to do so. Just because others do is not an excuse as most are conned into thinking it benefits them and that they cant live without one. If I want to phone then the land-line is my choice.

Your choice which your absolutely entitled to.

But you will miss out on information in 2016 without one. They are not costly these days either.

But you will miss out on information in 2016 without one. They are not costly these days either.

They only post infrequent updates on twitter tho, rarely tram specific and even then usually only about halfway trams. They provide a different service, twitter about general services information whereas the display boards SHOULD give information about individual trams across the network.

And some people with a smartphone will miss out on the real world/life/relationship. Because they get everything from internet and not look at the real world out there any longer.

I have a smartphone but don't use it to keep pumping my brain full of information.

The information at the tramstops is usually ok but has gotten more out of sync lately. Maybe they are playing games with the system, trying some different faulty software, its only a guess.

---------- Post added 30-12-2016 at 09:20 ----------

Maybe some Russian hackers have locked part of the system and are secretly demanding a release fee from SYPTE.

They could become people with smartphones - would help them no end.

Many people, including myself, do not want a smart phone. The thought of being permanently connected to the internet wherever I go is appalling to me. I very much object to government, or quasi government (public sector) organisations trying to force me to get one. There are also people who can`t afford smart phones, or their phone has failed, what about them ?

But aren`t we getting off the point here ? This thread is about the real time displays at tram stops. They are supposed to tell waiting passengers exactly how long it is till the next tram gets there in real time, i.e. not with reference to the timetable. I have often thought it absolutely pathetic that some bus stops in other cities, and some little used railway stations, have them, yet the Supertram system, used by far more people, does not. And real time indicators are very useful. Classic example, you`re waiting for a tram at Hillsborough Park, if the real time indicator could tell you the next tram was missing, you would probably decide to walk down to the Interchange stop and get a Blue route one.

Edited by Justin Smith

I assume that the real time information on your mobile if you are getting any is also wrong, manual twitter updates don't count. Getting real time information to work and having the information available would be a huge profit to mobile users, as then as with buses and trains we could wait inside in the warm while the disconnected users of the world have to wait in the cold squinting at an electronic sign.

In this day and age when so many other means of transport have cracked it, it's astonishing that this is actually hard for our Stagecoach / SYPTE to sort out.

I assume that the real time information on your mobile if you are getting any is also wrong, manual twitter updates don't count. Getting real time information to work and having the information available would be a huge profit to mobile users, as then as with buses and trains we could wait inside in the warm while the disconnected users of the world have to wait in the cold squinting at an electronic sign.

In this day and age when so many other means of transport have cracked it, it's astonishing that this is actually hard for our Stagecoach / SYPTE to sort out.

Actually if you consider that the trams are over 20 years and very much a product of 80s technology, not even the 90s it's easy to understand. You don't find many buses on the road that are 20 years old, and as trams operate on line of sight then they have never had the sophisticated systems that trains do. They are, I believe and excluding heritage trams used in Blackpool, the oldest trams in use in the UK. Manchester have replaced their entire fleet since the turn of the millennium.

That and combined with the fact that the PTE went for a system that was out of date before it was installed was always going to cause problems. The blame for this system lays solely at the door of the PTE. If they hadn't gone for a system that runs on GPRS chips then it would at least be much easier to allow for the transfer of data to them. The problem of the outdated systems on the trams is a harder one to solve though, and indeed in doing so has had made the tram system more difficult to use particular to dead and passengers who are hard of hearing. It's very frustrating to get on a tram and have no announcements and not have a clue where to alight. This is a direct result of stagecoach's attempts to make the PIDS work and it really isn't on.

Edited by Hook

Guest busdriver1

in doing so has had made the tram system more difficult to use particular to dead and passengers who are hard of hearing. It's very frustrating to get on a tram and have no announcements and not have a clue where to alight.

Surely in this case announcements would be somewhat moot, I am sure the staff could turf them off on City Road as a good guess???