Electronic information at tram/bus stops

Guest busdriver1
I complained/commented to the PTE and Supertram and got the gist of what Hook refers to, that apparently one of the many issues is that the trams (and the tech on them) are so old that it can't communicate effectively with the system that the PTE bought. When trams show a countdown, e.g.: 4 mins, then it means the tram is talking to the system and is being tracked. If the display shows a time then the tram isn't able to talk to the system so it just displays the scheduled time. Which is zero help.

Apparently, the updates rely on certain staff being free to provide the updates via a temporary fix/patch but this has limits as to how how and when they're updated. But all in all it's something of a disaster that it still doesn't work.

No great surprise since the PTE are involved.

Wrong information is worse than no information at all. It doesn't work so turn it off.

That is very true.

Last month waiting for a tram the system said my next one be 13 minutes. I thought that gives me time to pop a letter in the letterbox round the corner. When I came back (in 5 minutes) My tram was leaving and I had to wait for the next one.

Whilst it doesn't account for an 8 minute deficit, the countdowns are slightly flawed in how they're calculated. They're as the crow flies and seemingly worst case.

I get on at Park Grange Croft and the countdowns will go down from Manor Top just fine but when it gets to Spring Lane and turns the corner - momentarily facing a different direction of travel - the countdown will jump up a minute or two, as it comes down the hill those extra minutes vanish again. Likewise it can be on-time leaving Manor Top (the last timing point before the Station) but if no one gets on at the stops in between the tram can get ahead of the countdown and end up pulling in whilst still being 'Due in x Mins' - some drivers will wait at the first off road opportunity until they're back on time but most just leave early and spend longer at the next timing point.

Wrong information is worse than no information at all. It doesn't work so turn it off.

I think that's the most frustrating thing. They should either a) scrap live timings and just show the timetabled departures with a scrolling warning underneath that due to passenger loadings and traffic congestion trams may not run to the exact timetable or, b) scrap timetable information and use them to display important messages as and when required. They have demonstrated they can do this recently, and as the system performs so poorly it would be the most useful way of providing info.

It's surely possible to test the system without providing us passengers with crap information all the time..

Guest makapaka
That is only your opinion.

There are still very respectable people who don't know how to use a smartphone.

Tram info is getting worse now. Told me tram is due, five minutes later tram came, I ask ticket person what's the delay, she says no delay they are right on time.

There's no excuse for not learning how to use a smart phone.

Guest makapaka
There is more to life than smartphones and internet. Smartphone will not get you to your destination, tram will.

But you can get live updates on the tram status which is what people are saying they want?

Guest makapaka
no ,people are saying that they want the electronic information at tram stops to be correct and upto date . that is the reason they were put up , at great cost

Which will be good if it happens but what are people going to do in the meantime?