Rotherham council-25% more pay needed to attract suitable candidates

I don't think people should be paid peanuts, however there should be sensitivity to the people of Rotherham who are going to have to pay for the wages of staff.

Part of my work involves safeguarding people, and whilst it isn't rocket science, you do need integrity and to be able to know the difference between right and wrong. Characteristics that a lot of people have, thankfully.!

It's a difficult one isn't it? They have to fill the posts..I'm not sure I'd want to go and work there (if that was my line of employment) .. it'll be hard to get the right people without a bit of extra persuasion ...in my opinion anyway..

---------- Post added 10-04-2015 at 14:09 ----------

Its the councils money and they can do what they like with it.

The council,like the government ,doesn't have any money of it's own...it's all taxpayers' cash..and they have to account for spending it..

It's a difficult one isn't it? They have to fill the posts..I'm not sure I'd want to go and work there (if that was my line of employment) .. it'll be hard to get the right people without a bit of extra persuasion ...in my opinion anyway..

---------- Post added 10-04-2015 at 14:09 ----------

The council,like the government ,doesn't have any money of it's own...it's all taxpayers' cash..and they have to account for spending it..

It may be difficult to get people, but part of my job involves me working with young people and vulnerable adults who have been or at risk of abuse. People in my line of work are not paid a lot of money, but I do so (and so do others) because of the difference we can make to people's lives....And there are plenty of people in the public that do want to make a difference.

As I've said, it is, and should be a privilege to work in public service. Over the last 20 years there are so many middle managers and 'Chief Executives' employed who do not work in the front line, and don't have a clue. I'm angry that they are paid a fortune out of tax payers money, while those on the front line, doing the hardest work are either getting made redundant or having their pay cut. It's disgusting.

I would argue that danger money for all staff members at Rotherham council is more than justified if you want actual competence. They are going to be under intense scrutiny and failures might well be career ending, 25% is if anything low!

If only that was true tho.

Incompetence is never really punished in the public sector, usually they just promote the person to get them out of the way :hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi::hihi:

Due to the recent negative publicity surrounding the council, it may be necessary to consider awarding additional financial incentives to attract suitable applicants to senior managerial positions in Rotherham.

The report asked councillors to decide whether a "market supplement" was necessary to recruit to specific chief officer posts, up to a limit of 25% of annual salary.

My first thoughts were, what about asking the residents of Rotherham to decide.

The decision will be put before the full council for approval on 22 May.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-south-yorkshire-32249315

Its the councils money and they can do what they like with it.

Id suggest using it to pay compensation to the victims of the abuse the council knew about but ignored and swept under the carpet in the name of political correctness because of fear of upsetting the Asian community by actually taking action against the Asian grooming gangs in the town.

Id suggest using it to pay compensation to the victims of the abuse the council knew about but ignored and swept under the carpet in the name of political correctness because of fear of upsetting the Asian community by actually taking action against the Asian grooming gangs in the town.

I would prefer the money to be spent on providing service to everyone and not given out in compensation, compensation should come out of the pockets of concomitant employees.