Gas card scam, advice wanted

so when your card runs out you still get gas in you home which is charged on your top up. so--- where is the scam??

Because when you top up the card again only a subset of the arrears are paid off leaving you still in debt. The company then charge an EXTRA £1 a day while you are in debt. If you owed £8 for example and put £10 on the card, you should clear the £8 first leaving you £2 to go on the card, but by what the OP said, this doesn't happen, you perhaps only £5 is paid off the arrears leaving you still owing £3, which grows by another £1 a day, but you would probably think that you'd cleared the debt when you topped up £10.

Because when you top up the card again only a subset of the arrears are paid off leaving you still in debt. The company then charge an EXTRA £1 a day while you are in debt. If you owed £8 for example and put £10 on the card, you should clear the £8 first leaving you £2 to go on the card, but by what the OP said, this doesn't happen, you perhaps only £5 is paid off the arrears leaving you still owing £3, which grows by another £1 a day, but you would probably think that you'd cleared the debt when you topped up £10.

From what the OP says

"If it has allowed £2 of credit, next time you put £10 on you only get £8 of gas."

It looks like it does take all the arrears...

• 2 weeks later...
We switched to Utilita and comparing the month before to the one comparable following month and found it much cheaper than British Gas.

Me too, I was with EDF previously. Even if it did end up slightly more expensive, the convenience of Utilita would outweigh that little bit of extra cost for me anyway. I'd pay an extra pound or so a week just to not have to fight my way to the meter to put a card in or see what I've got left on it, or to not have to walk to the shop in the rain :hihi: