Don't immunise your child, lose benefits?

True. My mistake.

I know. But he does back up his opinions with stats and evidence. Personally, I don't consider the view that colonoscopies are less benefical than has been claimed, and that they can cause serious harm, to be an extraordinary claim.

Have the findings been subject to peer review?

I know. But he does back up his opinions with stats and evidence. Personally, I don't consider the view that colonoscopies are less benefical than has been claimed, and that they can cause serious harm, to be an extraordinary claim.

No he doesn't. Because he hasn't published this blog in a peer review journal, you need to verify that the scant evidence that he does produce does actually say what he claims it does, before you can even start to think about building an argument around what he claims.

He also needs to provide an awful lot more evidence to back up his claims.

---------- Post added 14-04-2015 at 13:05 ----------

True. My mistake.

You don't seem to acknowledge that he can and does make money out of persuading people not to have colonoscopies.

Instead of regurgitating the same line over and over again, show me the evidence of this. You saying that someone else says it's true doesn't count.

http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2821994/

Results

21,375 patients were enrolled. Gastrointestinal bleeding requiring hospitalization occurred in 34 patients (incidence 1.59/1000 exams; 95% confidence interval [CI] 1.10–2.22). Perforations occurred in 4 patients (0.19/1000 exams; 95% CI 0.05–0.48), diverticulitis requiring hospitalization in 5 patients (0.23/1000 exams; 95% CI 0.08–0.54), and post-polypectomy syndrome in 2 patients (0.09/1000 exams; 95%CI 0.02–0.30). The overall incidence of complications directly related to colonoscopy was 2.01 per 1000 exams (95%CI 1.46–2.71). Two of the four perforations occurred without biopsy or polypectomy. The risk of complications increased with pre-procedure warfarin use and performance of polypectomy with cautery.

How does an 'expert' gain your trust?

There's a lot of scamming, delusion and confusion amongst 'experts' on the internet.

Pointing to relevant studies is of value, but, as I'm now aware that many studies are corrupt, obviously that's limited.

I tend to place trust in 'experts' who do not benefit financially from people following their advice, and, especially, those who engage with evidence that goes against their own stance (rather than ignoring it).

There's a lot of scamming, delusion and confusion amongst 'experts' on the internet.

Pointing to relevant studies is of value, but, as I'm now aware that many studies are corrupt, obviously that's limited.

I tend to place trust in 'experts' who do not benefit financially from people following their advice, and, especially, those who engage with evidence that goes against their own stance (rather than ignoring it).

So why are you quoting someone who hasn't been peer reviewed as a credible source?

You don't seem to acknowledge that he can and does make money out of persuading people not to have colonoscopies.

I wasn't aware that anyone had suggested Dr Mcdougal 'can and does make money out of persuading people not to have colonoscopies'.

How would he do that?

Dr Mcdougal is chairman of a food company, that sells the food that he suggests that you should eat instead of having a colonoscopy!

He directly benefits from people following his advice! Whereas a gastroenterologist working for the NHS wouldn't see any finical gain from whether or not you follow their advice.

Which one do you trust?

That's not evidence of 1 in 200 procedures ending with a serious complication.

The paper that you linked, what do you think it says about colonoscopy risks?

I feel you're building up to making a point here. Perhaps you should just go on and make it?

---------- Post added 14-04-2015 at 13:30 ----------

Dr Mcdougal is chairman of a food company, that sells the food that he suggests that you should eat instead of having a colonoscopy!

Just to be clear- are you talking about the starchy vegetables he recommends in his books, or the low fat vegan pot noodles on his online shop?