Cost of holidays in Britain

Unfortunately holidays abroad are out for the time being. One of our party is disabled and cannot travel far, and the cost of holiday insurance is prohibitive.

Wouldn't the European health card cover this disability ?

You could.tent up at thousands of places near the beach, maybe even spend a few hundred on the actual tent and decent air beds.

Wouldn't the European health card cover this disability ?

You could.tent up at thousands of places near the beach, maybe even spend a few hundred on the actual tent and decent air beds.

No. afraid not. He doesn't have a passport either.

Couldn't manage in a tent, it would have to be a caravan at least.

We've just found a caravan in the lake district for £340 for 4 nights midweek. Still think it'e a lot, but that seems to be the going rate.

Going to the lakes for 5 days this summer with my tent for the princely sum of £20 :)

Admittedly that's just for me & my two man tent (each tent is additionally charged). It's probably going to be the cheapest holiday we've ever had, & I can't wait!

Going to the lakes for 5 days this summer with my tent for the princely sum of £20 :)

Admittedly that's just for me & my two man tent (each tent is additionally charged). It's probably going to be the cheapest holiday we've ever had, & I can't wait!

lovely, I hope you enjoy it!

I used to quite like camping, but now I can't get up off the floor. It's a young (or at least a fit) person's holiday.

lovely, I hope you enjoy it!

I used to quite like camping, but now I can't get up off the floor. It's a young (or at least a fit) person's holiday.

How many in your party? Cheap travelodge nr aldershot, not to far from places like Thorpe park and gold valley lakes on your doorstep.

How many in your party? Cheap travelodge nr aldershot, not to far from places like Thorpe park and gold valley lakes on your doorstep.

Four, but we're in a rather peculiar position in that the disabled person has very specific needs, including diet, equipment, mobility etc, (I can't go into details to preserve anonimity,) which means they pretty much have to be in single-storey self catering, and preferably somewhere with not too many people.

Think we're going with the Lakes. But many thanks for the heads up.

Four, but we're in a rather peculiar position in that the disabled person has very specific needs, including diet, equipment, mobility etc, (I can't go into details to preserve anonimity,) which means they pretty much have to be in single-storey self catering, and preferably somewhere with not too many people.

Think we're going with the Lakes. But many thanks for the heads up.

I've just quoted up a place called near Boston that's a lodge with its own lakes for 4 people it's £468, Westwood lakes it's called, so drivable to skeggy etc.

I've just quoted up a place called near Boston that's a lodge with its own lakes for 4 people it's £468, Westwood lakes it's called, so drivable to skeggy etc.

Do you know if that's for a week or part of a week?

I've looked up a lot of places thinking the price was for a week, only to phone up and find it's only for 3 or 4 nights.

Do you know if that's for a week or part of a week?

I've looked up a lot of places thinking the price was for a week, only to phone up and find it's only for 3 or 4 nights.

That was 4 nights, Monday til Friday,

Full week Saturday to Saturday in August £676

---------- Post added 12-04-2015 at 20:38 ----------

Also have you tried airbnb ?

You can rent full flats or houses all over the world much cheaper than hotels etc

That was 4 nights, Monday til Friday,

Full week Saturday to Saturday in August £676

---------- Post added 12-04-2015 at 20:38 ----------

Also have you tried airbnb ?

You can rent full flats or houses all over the world much cheaper than hotels etc

Thankyou for posting. I'd not heard of airbnb, so I'll file it away for another time.

Back to my original point, I still think £676 is a lot for a week in a self catering caravan, when you think that you could go abroad for that including airfare.

Unfortunately, as I said, I'm not in a position to go abroad at the moment so I'll have to like it or lump it. It's not the money so much as I don't like being ripped off, so I don't think I'll bother.