Cost of holidays in Britain

Thankyou for posting. I'd not heard of airbnb, so I'll file it away for another time.

Back to my original point, I still think £676 is a lot for a week in a self catering caravan, when you think that you could go abroad for that including airfare.

Unfortunately, as I said, I'm not in a position to go abroad at the moment so I'll have to like it or lump it. It's not the money so much as I don't like being ripped off, so I don't think I'll bother.

I'd love to know where you can get to abroad with four people for 676£, as I already pointed out, there are plenty of self-catering cottages out there that will be available for less, I think you aren't looking well enough.

For a pointer, try lhhscotland.co.uk or simply google for self-catering cottages and the area you want to stay in.

Guest sibon

I'll be paying £700 for a week in a four bedroomed villa near Bordeaux, complete with swimming pool.

Why would you pay the sort of prices suggested in this thread to get wet in a UK caravan?

I'll be paying £700 for a week in a four bedroomed villa near Bordeaux, complete with swimming pool.

Why would you pay the sort of prices suggested in this thread to get wet in a UK caravan?

I love this reply: makes me laugh n I thank you for that. Very comical.

I had this argument with a work colleague who thought that it was wrong for hotels here in the UK to charge similar rates as hotels in Spain/Turkey/Greece. Apart from the weather, which is a bizarre reason, she couldn't give me any other reason as to why she believes this, but just thinks that it wrong.

If you think about it, due to out holiday seasons here in the UK being shorter than those in hotter countries, our hotels probably have bigger overheads because they have to make their money to see out the year over a shorter period.

Have you seen how much these Waterparks/activity centres/go karting places charge in Spain/France/Italy.

The fact is that plenty of people only drag themselves abroad for nothing more than the sunny weather. You know the ones. The ones who sit in 90 degree heat with their plate of pie and chips and a pint of John Smiths.

They don't travel because they are interested in being abroad. They don't travel because they want to explore a new country. They don't travel because they want to experience the culture of a country. They want a van man tan and a dip in a overcrowded swimming pool whilst being served all you can drink cocktails.

I can guarantee that if Britain regularly had 90 degree heat and sun, Cleethorpes, Skegness, Scarborough, Blackpool, Southend etc would be very very different resorts and the Ryanair crowd would drop dramatically.

You certainly paint a strange picture of the British on holiday ECCOnoob!!

I would agree the weather is what tempts people abroad, and we have been doing it for over 30 years. BUT - we do explore the country we visit, not too worried about a tan, no swimming pools or beaches, and love trying the local food. Fish and chips on holiday? You must be joking!

:):)

Holidaying in this country during school holidays is a complete rip off.i can understand why you have to pay more in the main summer months but its every time the schools are on holiday the prices soar even in winter.if you want to know when school holidays are just pick up a holiday brochure.

go during term time and you can get lots ofgood cheap holidays