Cost of holidays in Britain

I'm getting a bit fed up of the ridiculously high costs of a holiday in Britain, particularly at the lower end of the market. Even a simple caravan in the back of beyond is getting beyond us.

I've just been quoted £890 for a week's fishing in a static caravan in a field with no other facilities than a pond to fish in. Needless to say I won't be taking it.

Since when did the idea of charging twice for the same week come into fashion? Splitting the week into Monday - Friday, then Friday - Monday (both at the cost of what used to be charged for a week,) is a nice little earner for some.

Add to that the prohibitive cost of family entry fees into attractions (eg family ticket for Warwick castle £69.00) and we are talking of a holiday beyond the means of many people.

Throw in unpredictable and often rubbish British weather and it's a whole lot of money for very little.

What a pity as Britain is such an interesting place to visit, but no wonder people go abroad for their holidays.

Its cheap to go abroad. Why not get some self catering holiday in spain?

What on earth you want to holiday in britain for, its freezing!?

---------- Post added 13-04-2015 at 15:05 ----------

Saying that I camped in scarborough once. It blew a gale and nearly flew into the sea but it was cheap!

---------- Post added 13-04-2015 at 15:06 ----------

Holidaying in this country during school holidays is a complete rip off.i can understand why you have to pay more in the main summer months but its every time the schools are on holiday the prices soar even in winter.if you want to know when school holidays are just pick up a holiday brochure.

go during term time and you can get lots ofgood cheap holidays

Dont schools fine parents now? its pretty harsh and holiday companies take advantage.

---------- Post added 13-04-2015 at 15:08 ----------

I'll be paying £700 for a week in a four bedroomed villa near Bordeaux, complete with swimming pool.

Why would you pay the sort of prices suggested in this thread to get wet in a UK caravan?

Now thats what Im talking about! why pay for a wet weekend in skeggy when you can live it up on the med?

Its cheap to go abroad. Why not get some self catering holiday in spain?

What on earth you want to holiday in britain for, its freezing!?

Now thats what Im talking about! why pay for a wet weekend in skeggy when you can live it up on the med?

I only wish I could ubermous, I love it abroad, and it's certainly better value, but as I've explained circumstances dictate I'm stuck in Britain for the next few years.

---------- Post added 14-04-2015 at 11:28 ----------

Have a look here Anna..there seems to be a fair selection of places and prices.

http://www.stayandfish.co.uk/stay-in-england/

Thanks for that truman, a good website I didn't know about.

It's not for everyone, but there are schemes where you swap homes with someone in another part of the country (or even another country) - which means effectively that your accommodation (the most expensive bit of the holiday usually) is free.

We have done it a few times when the children were younger. We had a brilliant week in London doing all the usual stuff there, but saving a fortune by cooking our own meals. Lovely house in Greenwich and nice family (still in touch with them), a fortnight in Scotland and a week in Cornwall. They treated our house very well, there were no problems with the exchanges at all.

The National Housewives Register used to organise such exchanges, but there are others.