Conservative plan to not charge inheritance tax on homes worth under1m

No it won't because most people don't go into care.

If only a minority of elderly people go into care, surely the government could find the money to cover the cost. It is basically an extension of the NHS, these people are usually in hospital, until they can be found a place in a care home.

If money can be found for this inheritance tax break, so people can leave their homes to their children, then surely it can be found for people who will lose their homes and life savings and not be able to leave them to their children.

If only a minority of elderly people go into care, surely the government could find the money to cover the cost. It is basically an extension of the NHS, these people are usually in hospital, until they can be found a place in a care home.

If money can be found for this inheritance tax break, so people can leave their homes to their children, then surely it can be found for people who will lose their homes and life savings and not be able to leave them to their children.

Family that cares for their elderly relatives deserve the money far more than the family that puts their relatives into care.

Inheritance tax does not just cover homes you know. It covers businesses too. Increasing the threshold negates the need for probate claims in a huge number of businesses which in turn means it costs less to manage.

The plan is to remove family homes from inheritance tax.

It's aspirational.

Blair was very good as aspirational politics. He'd get people voting for policies that would suit the person that they want to be, as opposed to the people that they are. It's one of the tricks that helped him to win all his elections.

The Tories will hope that policies like this will do the same for them.

Good point. But Blair could afford to be aspirational. Times were good and he hadn't had to contend with a major crash that showed those same 'aspirational' people just how easily it could all be taken away from them. Now they know how close to disaster they really are.

Cameron would do well to take that into account.

It's aspirational.

Blair was very good as aspirational politics. He'd get people voting for policies that would suit the person that they want to be, as opposed to the people that they are. It's one of the tricks that helped him to win all his elections.

The Tories will hope that policies like this will do the same for them.

Have you got any examples of Blair's asperational policies?

Have you got any examples of Blair's asperational policies?

His mantra of Education, Education, Education, was a classic. He understood for Labour to win an election he had to win over the aspirational working class, and there is no better way to climb the class ladder than education.

Guest sibon
That's a polite word for it! :)

(I was thinking more along the lines of 'delusional').

Smithy and I go back a long way.

I suspect that Poldark wasn't holding his attention, so he decided to play a while.

I'm always polite BTW:)

Smithy and I go back a long way.

I suspect that Poldark wasn't holding his attention, so he decided to play a while.

I'm always polite BTW:)

I know you are.

But feeding trolls just encourages them...and arguing for arguing's sake, in the face of all reason, starts to look very much like trolling!

Edited by aliceBB