Conservative plan to not charge inheritance tax on homes worth under1m

Guest sibon
I know you are.

But feeding trolls just encourages them...and arguing for arguing's sake, in the face of all reason, starts to look very much like trolling!

Sometimes you need to feed one to expose them.

That's generally a good way to go with Smithy.

I am surprised - although I shouldn't be - by how many comments and so few facts.

As it happens, David Blunkett asked some Parliamentary Questions about Inheritance Tax just a few weeks ago. You can find the questions and answers at:

http://www.parliament.uk/business/publications/written-questions-answers-statements/written-question/Commons/2015-02-03/223142/

http://www.parliament.uk/business/publications/written-questions-answers-statements/written-question/Commons/2015-02-03/223143/

In each of the Sheffield constituencies, except Sheffield Hallam, less than 10 estates each year (and it could be 0) actually pay any inheritance tax at all under the existing arrangements.

On the new Conservative proposals, the Institute for Financial Studies said "This (and in fact any) IHT cut will also go disproportionately to those towards the top of the income distribution" and "Anything... which increases the tax privilege associated with an asset like housing will drive the price up in the long run."

Given the current state of the economy and the financial challenges for businesses and families, I simply fail to understand how giving £1bn a year to those who already have the most AND even further distorting the housing market is a priority.

That's a fairly thoughtless and spiteful statement. Are you Katie Hopkins?

Why is it?

Two families, both in the same financial situation and both have a parent that owns an house and needs care.

Option one, sell their parents house and pay someone else to provide the care.

Option two, provide the care yourself and inherit the house when they die.

---------- Post added 13-04-2015 at 07:19 ----------

I know you are.

But feeding trolls just encourages them...and arguing for arguing's sake, in the face of all reason, starts to look very much like trolling!

Why is it that I am a troll when I disagree with your opinion, but then on another topic when I agreed with your opinion, the member disagreeing with us both was the troll.

The same question to Sibon, on another topic in which we have very similar opinions you aren't disrupting the topic by making unfounded accusations about me.

:suspect:

Its seams to be that you use the word troll in an attempt to stop people disagreeing with you.

Having heard the tory plan to waive inheritance tax for homes worth under 1 million, I can help thinking it's yet another CON....(quite apt for the Conservatives)...

Is that 'after' the council have forced you to sell it to pay for your care?

It`s appalling actually. Even more so in these times of austerity with cuts everywhere that they`re planning to let some kids of wealthy parents get up to one million pounds without even paying tax on it. Money they haven`t done a stroke of work for and are only getting by pure accident of birth.

It makes me sick to my stomach, even more so that I (as a tax payer) am helping to pay for it out of my back pocket.

It`s appalling actually. Even more so in these times of austerity with cuts everywhere that they`re planning to let some kids of wealthy parents get up to one million pounds without even paying tax on it. Money they haven`t done a stroke of work for and are only getting by pure accident of birth.

It makes me sick to my stomach, even more so that I (as a tax payer) am helping to pay for it out of my back pocket.

So how much money should you be allowed to give your children before they have to pay tax on it?

You don't pay anything towards it, someone earns money and they pay tax, they use the money to buy an house and they more pay tax. This proposal allows them to give more of it to their kids without any further tax, that's no tax from the kids and no tax from you.